What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual WW1 Ammo Box - Any help appreciated

caesar73

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Trying to identify this (assumed to be) ammunition box. As you can see its dated 1916 but I can't find out what the other markings donate. The top of the box has a large copper sliding lock with a nut in the centre. This turns and the copper slide moves along the lid and locks into the four brass pins which protrude from the main box into the edges of the lid. It's very unusual and can't find anything similar despite trawling the Internet. Any help appreciated. Thanks

What is a cracking box? Never heard that term before. Thanks, Bruce.

"Cracking" is an English term (slang).
Cracking - If something is cracking, it means it is the best. Usually said without pronouncing the last "G". If a girl is cracking it means she is stunning

Cheers,
Brad

What is a cracking box? Never heard that term before. Thanks, Bruce.

Sorry, I have heard that term before, in the slang term used. My literal mind thought it might have been something ordnance relate, like a powder box or the like. I'll agree, a very nice box and with an intricate sealing system. Our parlance, cool (hey, it's coming back:wink:). Cheers, Bruce.

.........awesome, wicked , sick (I believe is a more modern term!!)

no seriously, very nice box, love the locking system on that one.

I'm sure someone will be able to id it for you. Are there any other marks anywhere?
also, could you post some pictures of the inside please.

regards Kev

Definitely Naval and definitely British. I have a similar one that if for the 12pr 12cwt ammunition but the dimensions look different, so not sure which gun it would have been for.

D

I understood the term, but if you show pictures of the girl, it might help us comprehend.... But, that may be against site rules, and would be certainly "off-topic!"