What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 11th Engineers Cambrai 20 November 1917

glevum

Ths is a bit off my usual interest, but here goes.

I'm trying to find some information about the action involving a detachment of the US 11th Engineers who were repairing a section of railway track behind the Allied lines when the Germans overran the site.

In particular I am interested if any of the 11th Engineers were awarded a British Military Cross for this action.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Will.

Hi Will,

Do you happen to know which area in Cambrai the American troops were and are you sure it was the 20th November that they were over-run?? The British launched their offensive on the 20th and advanced on that day, unfortuantely the ground that was taken they couldn't hold and when the Germans counter-attacked a few days later much of the ground was re-taken. There is much written about Cambrai, but much of the focus lies on the Tank action, which is where my interest lies. If you had a location for the railway line that would be helpful in trying to find out more....

regards Kev

Hi Kev,

I think the action was near
Gouzeaucourt.

I am unsure of the date, it may have been as late as the 30th of November.

Regards,

Will.

Ok, I have just found a little info, but not much.

The 11th Engineers U.S.A. were responsible for moving the tanks forward (on railways). The regiment was made up of railway workers from New York.

so possibly if the regiment came from New York, then maybe records could be held in that State??

will continue to look for you.

regards Kev

You could try asking on the Great War Forum, maybe you could get more help there.

Andy

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the link, I have not seen it before.

The 11th Engineers did come from New York.

Regards,

Will.

Thanks Dano,

Unfortunately not the name I'm looking for.

I am trying to find if Hazen Hoyt won a Military Cross at Cambrai.

I think he was a lieutenant then with the 11th Engineers.

He was from Great Neck, Long Island.

Regards,

Will.

The Great War Forum is probably the best place to ask. The other place to check maybe the London Gazette. If an MC was awarded I think it would need to be Gazetted and therefore be listed in the London Gazette. You can search there archives online (its not a great search tool unfortunately). I had a quick look and couldnt come up with anything - doesnt mean there isnt anything there tho!
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/

I'm not sure if I have heard of an MC being awarded as a unit citation before. According to a definition of its award basis - this is from Wikipedia so may be complete crap..

The Military Cross (MC) is the third-level countries.
The MC is granted in recognition of "an act or acts of exemplary gallantry during active operations against the enemy on land to all members, of any rank in Our Armed Forces".[2] In 1979 the Queen approved a proposal that a number of awards, including the Military Cross, could in future be awarded posthumously.[3]

I have some proper reference books at home - i'll check!
Good luck
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion of the London Gazette. I have joined the Great War Forum and will try to post the question there later.

Hoyt was in the US Army and awards to US Army soldiers do not appear to be posted in the London Gazette.

I could not find any mention of Mcloud's MC in there either (Dano came up with a page on Mcloud).

The UK Mod has no records of awards to foreign soldiers either.

It was not a unit citation.

Regards,

Will.

Will, Have found a wealth of information of that battle and the engineers fighting with shovel and pick, but draw absolute blanks with Hazen Hoyt, which is weird when you take into account the great amount of information written on the battle. One thing for sure this thread has taught me plenty. Of course I knew of the battle but only broad strokes at best. It does make for quite intrigueing and interesting reading as appearantly these engineers held their own doing battle after building tank bed and helping assemble tanks. I sure hope you do find out about Hoyt and by all means let us know but I spent quite a bit of time on search engines and came up with zip....Dano