What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 155mm Illumination Shell

orcutteod

A friend of mine gave me this Vietnam War era 155mm illumination shell recently. I have had big shells come and go and this is my first illumination. It also brings back a lot of memories.

Attachments

• IMG_4202.jpg
    IMG_4202.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4198.jpg
    IMG_4198.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4199.jpg
    IMG_4199.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4200.jpg
    IMG_4200.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4201.JPG
    IMG_4201.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 18
orcutteod,

Nice bullet! Most likely, my first large projo was one just like yours. I see you live in California. Your projectile was manufactured in Vernon California (East LA) in 1972, near the end of the Vietnam war. I worked at that factory in the late 80s. NOR on the projo stands for Norris Industries. They have made a lot of ordnance through the years, but I believe they are out of business now.

So you must remember the gun powder company in Newhall/Saugas called Bermite. One of my Vietnam Vet buddies lost a couple of his fingers working their in the early seventies. It was his first job after getting out of the Army. Anyhow thanks for the additional information on the 155mm. I know that Veron has many meat cutting companys their and a lot of trucking companies involed their too.

Yeah, there were meat cutting plants in the area. Alcoa aluminum was just down the street from the factory, and they made the extruded fin stock for use in the U.S. 120mm HEAT projos for the Abrams tank. We made all the rest of the projectile, and made the fins from the extrusions we got from Alcoa. Your projo is made from 4140 tool steel. Damn good stuff for making any kind of tools.