What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 37mm projectile ID requested

charley777

Hello all...can anyone please ID this projectile. I was quite happy with it but a mate reckons it's a fake because the driving band sems to be copper-washed. It is , however, non-magnetic so perhaps it's some kind of gilding metal? The only markings are stamped into the base :- 1-PDR MK?? 17.THE TOLEDO SCREW PRODUCTS CO. Length is 109mm. Driving band width is 18mm. Distance from DB to base is 15mm. I have included a photyo with other US 37mm projectiles for comparison. SO...is it real (as i suspect) or bogus? Any information gratefully received (-:

Attachments

• 37mm  US projectiles for comparison.JPG
    37mm US projectiles for comparison.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 101
  • 37mm Toledo Screw Products projectile.JPG
    37mm Toledo Screw Products projectile.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 37mm Toledo Screw Products projectile base.JPG
    37mm Toledo Screw Products projectile base.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 71
You have one of these

These are hollow, you might want to remove the black paint. It's real enough.This is the U.S. Navy version of the Army Model 1908 1 Pr. (Maximum Capacity) subcaliber projectile. Any Navy 37x136 case will do.
The first issues took a fuze which was quickly discontinued. Some are modified to take a base fuze or tracer element.

Attachments

• USNsubcal-page1.jpg
    USNsubcal-page1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 56
By the look of it i don't think it has been re-banded, i think by the look of the finish under the black paint and below the driving band that it has been chrome plated in the past, that would also explain the silvery patches on the driving band where somebody has tried to remove the chrome plate.
Best regards Weasel.

Chrome / nickle plating

is very possible and in doing so it was likely polished first so some of the definition might be lost on the band. I would suggest trying to remove it, 220 grit might do it on the steel body with out harm. The bands on these sometimes have a gilding metal look to them. Usually the plating is applied over the steel directly without copper plating first so it doesn't adhear as well.

Thank you

Thanks for the info and advice...i have a spare 37x136R case....this proj has been living in a lonely 37x165R Japanese case (just for show) LOL