What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 6 pdr projectiles

Burney Davis

Premium Member
This is one for our American friends I think.

The attached picture is of what at first (and second) glance I thought were the same projectile. On closer inspection and after cleaning the bases there are subtle differences.

The red painted, slightly shorter projectile is marked 6 Pdr - T - Mk III. What is the significance of the 'T'?

The one on the left is marked 6 Pdr Mk III, is slightly longer and the base threads extend further into the body of the shell.

Would these two take the same base fuze, and what model would that be?

TIA for any help with these.

20221204_175825.jpg20221204_175919.jpg

A couple of details on Navy ammo. As of late, typically red painted projectiles are labeled (BL&P) Blind Loaded and Plugged, which is Inert Loaded and a plug or dummy fuze installed. I'm not sure when this was adopted for Navy Ammo. WWII army ammo that was painted red were shrapnel projectiles for AAA and antipersonnel use, but in this case the projo is a Navy AP.

The depth of threads shouldn't matter much and would actually make it easier to thread if allowed to go all the way through.

The T is most likely Tracer, and since it is a practice projo, a tracer would improve observation of fire.

Explosive projectiles of this era were either black powder or black powder and TNT 50/50 loaded. So a fuze appropriate for the load with an integral tracer for the HE unpainted projo, and a plug with tracer for the red projo.

What was the colour for U.S.Navy 1950s - 6os Drill ? regarding my 3'/70 projectile.

A couple of details on Navy ammo. As of late, typically red painted projectiles are labeled (BL&P) Blind Loaded and Plugged, which is Inert Loaded and a plug or dummy fuze installed. I'm not sure when this was adopted for Navy Ammo. WWII army ammo that was painted red were shrapnel projectiles for AAA and antipersonnel use, but in this case the projo is a Navy AP.

The depth of threads shouldn't matter much and would actually make it easier to thread if allowed to go all the way through.

The T is most likely Tracer, and since it is a practice projo, a tracer would improve observation of fire.

Explosive projectiles of this era were either black powder or black powder and TNT 50/50 loaded. So a fuze appropriate for the load with an integral tracer for the HE unpainted projo, and a plug with tracer for the red projo.

Excellent, many thanks.