What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 60mm M49A2 Mortar....Opinions

Dirt Detective

Hey Guys, Just picked up this nice little 60mm Mortar that was originally yellow HE then painted blue for a practice round. Body is dated 1941, the blue seems like it will come off fairly easy..my question..should I take the blue paint off? What is the rarer round, a yellow painted blue or a yellow body?

Attachments

• 60mm morter 001.jpg
    60mm morter 001.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 60mm morter 003.jpg
    60mm morter 003.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 108
DD,

I had one exactly like it except it was all in yellow. I'd say bring it back to its original state. When you refinish it you won't have a problem with the serial number and year because they are already embedded into the metal, not stenciled. It looks like the fuze is correct and has all of it's parts, My fuze was also the same. I sold mine to a guy who was a salesman for some company that did WW II re-enacting. He got me good on that 60mm mortar and I still regret it TODAY!

Besides, you still have the real deal under that blue paint and it is still INERT at that.

V40
a MODERN DAY COLLECTOR of INERT GRENADES!:tinysmile_classes_t:tinysmile_classes_t

I'll never understand you WWI fanantics in and ways? :tinysmile_cry_t3::tinysmile_cry_t3::tinysmile_cry_t3:

US 60mm M49A2 Mortar....Opinions
Hey Guys, Just picked up this nice little 60mm Mortar that was originally yellow HE then painted blue for a practice round. Body is dated 1941, the blue seems like it will come off fairly easy..my question..should I take the blue paint off? What is the rarer round, a yellow painted blue or a yellow body?

Hi Dirt Detective,

Here is my opinion for what its worth.

I don't know which is rarer, but it sure looks in great condition. Great pick up!!
I like items with original paintwork, this is an overpaint, but is an official overpaint and therefore part of its history. Had it been a re-paint other than official, my reaction would be to strip it back to yellow.
Another question to ask yourself is about the fuze. Is the fuze also practice, if it is, then if you were to strip it back to the original yellow, you would also have to replace the fuze with a non-practice varient.

What would I do?
I would leave it 'as is', for the time being at least. Live with it for a while and then decide. Your gut feeling will tell you what is right.

There is no right or wrong decision, it is more a matter of preference.
Not much help am I?

'I used to be indecicive, but now I'm not so sure!!'

regards
Kev

I'd leave it as is. Altough originally it was yellow, what is rarer? I'd say the round has significant history as it is. You can always find an original yellow one, I seen a yellow one for sale on auction arms just a couple of weeks ago, so they are availble.

I would say leave it as is. It would be hard to remove just the blue, without damaging the yellow, then you would have ruined both.

To me original finish and markings put a piece of ordnance into "Reference" and "High End Collectible" Categories. In your case you have 2 original finishes on your example and they are both nicely represented. I would leave it as is and enjoy it!

60mm m49A2 Body

Thanks in advance for any relies that I amy get to my questions.Glad I found this site....
Q)I have 2 dated 1945 US 60mm M492A mr round bodies.Good threads on both ends.I had them on ebay for sale.My seller name is .'abitdusty'..9 years.Have a look sometime.They were doing well,then,BooM...The ebay gods canceled the auction...They are in very nice condition for some WWII era display pieces.....Is this the right place to find buyers for them?
Q-2)Approx value?
Any help,advice or a new good semi lewd joke for the day,would be appreciated...Thank you.

So THAT'S where they went!! Bloody E-Bay!! (I've been hanging around the Brit sites TOO much). Put them on Gun Broker under Mortars and Inert and they should sell like hotcakes. Cheers, Bruce.

Thanks in advance for any relies that I amy get to my questions.Glad I found this site....
Q)I have 2 dated 1945 US 60mm M492A mr round bodies.Good threads on both ends.I had them on ebay for sale.My seller name is .'abitdusty'..9 years.Have a look sometime.They were doing well,then,BooM...The ebay gods canceled the auction...They are in very nice condition for some WWII era display pieces.....Is this the right place to find buyers for them?
Q-2)Approx value?
Any help,advice or a new good semi lewd joke for the day,would be appreciated...Thank you.