What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 75mm Recoilless

nitrocellulose

Good day everyone. This is my first post and I'll get right to the point. I have, what I believe to be, a projectile for a 75mm recoilless gun. The markings on the projectile are: 75mm M-1 U.S., empty lot number: 48 H&B 10 44. The OBC is yellow denoting practice for this era, and of course there is a stencil "sand" which would reinforce the yellow OBC.

I can't find anything, references, photos, etc...for this projectile and I was wondering if someone could help me out?

I believe it was fired from the US recoilless gun M20, WWII/Korea vintage.

Thanks,

Can you post a photo? Is the rifling preengraved on the rotating band? M1 is the model number for the 105 howitzer HE projectile. The first 105 recoilless projectiles were howitzer projectiles with the rifling broached into the rotating band to reduce recoil. 75mm recoilless projectiles were stamped M48 which was XXXed out, because they used 75mm gun/howitzer M48 HE projectiles with rifling broached into the rotating band.

FYI the proper name is recoilless rifle. Gun refers to a higher velocity, longer range broadside weapon.

Attachments

• 75mm RR U.S.jpg
    75mm RR U.S.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I'll have to figure out thre gallery and then post the photos.

The rifling is either pre-engraved or has been engaged. My guess is that it has been engaged. It is also very faint. I'm aware of the pre-engraved rifling on the 106mm. This doesn't look like that.

I'll also add that there is a machined, metal protrostion from the bottom of the projectile which has several vent holes in it.

Let me get back to you with those photos.

Last edited:
Typically members use the gallery to post photos of their collections, and post photos of items they need identified as attachments to their posting so everyone can see them without having to go to the gallery, which is more work and they are less likely to do.

Your projectile appears to be a WWI to early WWII 75mm Gun HE projectile, that has been modified into an experimental mortar projectile. The copper gas seal and protruding boss on the base are typical mortar characteristics. Thats the theory, but there are problems.

The copper is too large in diameter which would allow the projectile to pitch and yaw around too much as it would travel down the tube when fired, making it dangerous and very inaccurate. Also, the base copper and boss should not be easily removeable. Finally I haven't ever seen a design for a weapons system that uses ammo like this.

I would guess that it is a sample prototype put together to illustrate a concept or make a presentation to weapons designers etc., or someone got creative in their machine shop.