What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US demolition device

Not sure, but I'd say reference the cratering charges and see if they come packed with a booster - ?

Not sure, but I'd say reference the cratering charges and see if they come packed with a booster - ?
The booster of the 40 lb. cratering charge is in the middle and completely different.

Attachments

• Kraterlading 40 lb.6.jpg
    Kraterlading 40 lb.6.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 16
i think it may be this civilian primer/booster(or a military version) used for making holes in the ground.in the army photo you can see a metal cover(supported by 3 legs) which would protect the threads as they can be joined together to make whatever size/depth hole you require
also looks like its contained in a waterproof cover so it could be used by navy combat demolition units

Attachments

• P1040910.JPG
    P1040910.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 18
To be more specific, they were used to boost ammonium nitrate mixtures - ANFO, etc. Holes are drilled into the rock, then loaded with the appropriate explosive mixture. the boosters/primers are typically loaded at the deepest part of the hole, sometimes intermittently after. All tied in with detcord/primacord. You used to see them occasionally, but they have all been snapped up by mining collectors, like the old blasting cap tins. Here are some of mine, shown next to a half pound block of TNT for size comparison. In the US they were mostly replaced with pentolite cast boosters, encased in cardboard. Picture of a dummy pentolite booster after.

Attachments

• IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0949.jpg
    IMG_0949.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 10
I also know that the two shown by US-Subs (red Vibronite and blue ?) were used to prime/boost the ammonium nitrate charges used in seismic work for oil exploration.