What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US M29 Practice Rifle Grenade

Eodtek

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Here are photos of the grenade and the shipping container. I have an x-ray but since it's just an empty body I don't want to bother wasting the space on the forum.

This is the practice version of the M28 Anti-Tank Rifle Grenade. The black and white version seems to be the most common found but there are instances of them being painted blue with white markings.

Attachments

• M29 RG Shipping Container.jpg
    M29 RG Shipping Container.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 20
  • M29 RG.jpg
    M29 RG.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 33
nice 'nade

Nice rifle grenade Eodtek, excellent condition. these rifle grenades display well (especially in my basement)!! Dano

heres a pic of the british No94 mk2 practice.
same body different markings.
paul.

Attachments

• Page3No94mk2.jpg
    Page3No94mk2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 15
bad ass

These rifle grenades look (as my boys would say) "bad ass", which from what I understand means really cool! Rifle grenades (these later types) would make an excellent sub-collection in themselves...Dano

No 94 Practice

always loved how the British copy was Black with a yellow stripe

Simply put (actually more complicated) at the time the yellow band on a black ground indicated, in UK ammunition markings parlance, a 'practice' munition. Later a yellow(ish) band (albeit not on black) would indicate an HE munition! The earliest Energa HE grenades bought by the Brits were just black!!

All of the UK Energa and Super-Energa grenades, HE, Practice, Instructional and Drill were of MECAR production.

Hi, Here's some differing colour schemes. Cheers

Attachments

• energa.jpg
    energa.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 31
eye popper

Beautiful display kiwicolin, as they look quite impressive arranged in that fashion. excellent man. dano

Practice Markings

was that just rifle grenades or all ordnance

In general Land Service markings were pretty consistent for ordinary stuff. The whole subject as I said is rather complicated. Markings for munitions dated in the mid-1950s were covered by regulations that emerged from 1952 to 1954 (amending a 1948 scheme). For shell, mortar bombs, PIAT the yellow band indicated practice but this did not mean 'inert'. Practice projectiles with tracer, with flash target effect, propelling cartridges etc., had a red filling band to give a clue to future collectors that these are troublesome. Not all practice munitions were painted black, some were not painted at all, and black was also the basic body colour used for other natures (AP, drill, radar echo and flares for instance). Exceptions abound, practice Rocket heads could be blue (with no yellow band) the 3.5in UK M29 is the obvious example.

Air and Naval Service had their own variations for example small calibre cannon ammunition had, according to the regulations at least, black bodies but no yellow band. So much for 'Inter-Service' marking regulations.

Sorry if this doesn't make a great deal of sense. I guess if trying to work out markings the answer always starts off with "it depends".

Thank goodness for the standardised NATO approach (for which there is an equal number of exceptions no doubt).

thank you, I knew about the spotting charges in the practice items, I seen British with Blue DET cord so one and so forth. But thank you for the knowledge.

Here's some more colors for you

Attachments

• RG 1.jpg
    RG 1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 23
  • RG 2.jpg
    RG 2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 26
barrel of monkeys

Wow Jo, That is some ensemble of 'nades. Beautiful display, a regular clinic, thanks for sharing..Dano

Rifle grenades aren't a big area of interest for me, but over the years you find one here, you're given one there - it would be rude to refuse. I like the normal hand grenades much more, my collection of those is a little more comprehensive.