What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Us m48 fuze

Dunkbfg

Any recommendations on how to remove a seized brass head from this fuze without damaging it?

Picture is stock via google.

m48.jpg

Assuming that you are certain the fuze is inert -
Although I am sure we have plenty of machinists on the forum that have better tools and methods, I generally put the threads between two wood blocks in a vise and try a set of channel locks and a couple of layers of bicycle inner tube cut to fit. The tube pads and gives reasonable grip, but you still need to be careful not to damage anything.

To add to what Jeff has said, assuming it's inert, many times you can help to break stuck parts free by hitting the assembly with a hammer. A dead blow hammer or a leather hammer will allow you to hit things without bending the materials or leaving marks.

Assuming that you are certain the fuze is inert -
Although I am sure we have plenty of machinists on the forum that have better tools and methods, I generally put the threads between two wood blocks in a vise and try a set of channel locks and a couple of layers of bicycle inner tube cut to fit. The tube pads and gives reasonable grip, but you still need to be careful not to damage anything.

Worked great - set it up and off it came, Thanks!