What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US M56 4,000lb bomb & 8th AF

gremlin

Does anybody know whether or not the 8th Air Force ever used the M56 4000lb bomb operationally in Europe? I've seen pictures of them in bomb dumps ... but cannot find any evidence that they were ever dropped in anger by either B-17s or B-24s ....

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gremlin

Hi Gremlin,I have seen a quote on a forum "4000lb,Bombs were seldom used,"and another quote is that the B24j could carry two x 4000lb internally,I have not seen anything that proves they were used in European theatre,
Regards,Don,

The 4000lb M56 could only be carried externally by B17s and B24s, and according to the late Roger Freeman wasn't used operationally by the 8AF during WWII at least.
Having said that, he also says they didn't turn up in the UK until 1944, whereas here is a photo them stored in the Sharnbrook ammunition depot in July 1943...

roadstores.jpg

All the best,
PB

Thanks Don & Paul,

The photo of the 4,000 pounders at Sharnbrook is interesting ... although I can't find it at present ... I've also seen photos of M56 bombs in at least one 8th Air Force bomb dump ... as they were quite impressive to be photographed next to .... I guess that the jury is out as to whether they were ever used operationally ...

Best wishes,
Gremlin

I've seen images of them being used as signs and gateway markers on a number of 8AF stations, as you say they are of impressive size.
Here's what is surely an empty casing on the roof of the Ordnance Section offices at Deenethorpe:

USa1.jpg

Gents, This was posted on the IAA forum and may answer that question. Funny how these things happen just when you need them. Cheers, Bruce.

DKConfiguration posted the following:
"Looks like they discovered an unexploded Blockbuster bomb at the Rhine river bed in Koblenz. Probably the 4,000 lb variety based on the 10-foot length estimate and mention of it being 1.8 tons. The article says they are evacuating 45,000 people - wow:"
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/1...as-massive-wwii-bomb-defused/?test=latestnews

Last edited:
Hello! With the bomb in Koblenz it concerns not around 4000 lb US, but English 4000 lb. See picture!!! there in Germany the rivers few will have water many bombs from the 2.WK found. Harry

Attachments

• HC 4000 LB Mk IV.jpg
    HC 4000 LB Mk IV.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 55
Okay, That will work, too. Hope all goes well there. Cheers, Bruce.

This doesn't answer the question of use, but thought that you might enjoy the photos of the bombs.

Photo4000PoundBombGirls.jpg 54b.jpg54bb.jpg 54a.jpg54aa.jpg

Thanks for all the responses to this query ... I've also found the following picture from the 392nd Bomb Group at Wendling ... which certainly confirms that 4,000 pounders were present at 8th Air Force stations ... even if they never appear to have been used ...2 men w bombs (Barfield).jpg

The bomb that I saw in the news clip had a flat nose (or tail) and didn'tlook US.
Well there is living proof that at least one was dropped in Germany.
It does look British so what fuzes were used and how dangerous are they?
Regards,
John aka Bart