What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Us m67

pointblank0

BOCN Supporter
Hello all, can someone please tell me when the M67 was first recorded in use and when it was officially introduced into service?

My searched are not very helpful!

Thanks

U.S. M67 M/T fuze...

Hello Pointblank0,

The first reference I have that describes the M67 M/T fuze is TM 9-1904 dated March 1944. It mentions being used only on 155mm projectiles when a time setting rather then impact with the target was desired. In later references, the fuze is listed as being used on the 8-inch and 240mm shells.
Hope this helps...

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 20
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 16
Hello Pointblank0,

Just realized you were wondering about the M67 grenade.

I suppose this is what they mean when then say I have a one track mind...

Oh well,

Randall

Thanks Shelldude, nice fuze though!

Cheers for the link Rick, good info there. The reason I was looking was that I saw somewhere very recently that they were not issued till after the Vietnam war. I have always assumed that they were in servive in the late sixties. Guess it was just a dodgy info site I saw. Cheers

The units were started back in 1968. We even used the Mk3A2 in Vietnam until supplies were empty. Plaster in an interview in person stated that The M67 was the best grenade out there. It was better than the M26A1. He also stated that when you threw the M67 back then you had an awsome grenade. According to him it was the loudest and it was powerful. He could not tell me when the first M67's came into country. But I agree with Slick. It was adopted by the US Army in the late 1960's. It was the first grenade to be developed by us using the "internal serrations". Internal serrations were first used in used in WWI with the British Number 16 in 1915. These grenades were supposedly ineffective during THE Great War to end all wars, (Dan?). Then there in the 1950's the use of "internal serrations" was being experimented with again. Turns out it was at this time, during the Cold War, the M67 was in the planning stages. Whereby the M26 was issued to our troops as their main grenade which it was first adopted in the Korean War through Vietnam. During this time the planners and desiners developed the M33 first than the M67 after.

Hope this helps you out guys.

Also PBO I received the INERT weapon yesterday.

I have a very early M67 issue can dated 4-69 if that helps.

I'll have to look at the office but I just did some research on the M228 fuze and have a photo of an XM228 manufactured by Penguin Industries and I think it was dated 1967.

That would put the M67 to that year or earlier.

I'll have to look at the office but I just did some research on the M228 fuze and have a photo of an XM228 manufactured by Penguin Industries and I think it was dated 1967.

That would put the M67 to that year or earlier.

There's an XM228 picture on the forum
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/fuze-spoon-xm228-t69694.html?t=69694&highlight=xm228

That one is dated 10/70, so it was still in the experimental phase in 1970.
Does this indicates that the M228 and so the M213 is past 1970 ?

Heres a couple shots of the '69 M67 can. Wish I had a 60's M67 to put in it!

Attachments

• DSC00056.jpg
    DSC00056.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC00057.jpg
    DSC00057.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 24
GTR

Not to dispute the facts, but could that be the can manufacture date(4-69) and labeled later for whatever contents it was utilized for. Many of the cans I've seen for the M67 have the spacer/cushion glued in the top.

Rick

Hi Rick, anything is possible. I have never seen this style/font of nomenclature on an M67 can and this is the oldest one I have found in terms of date so I can't imagine it's that far off. I also have never seen one with a glued in foam piece. But yes, I would say its possible it was labeled later.

GTR

Not to dispute the facts, but could that be the can manufacture date(4-69) and labeled later for whatever contents it was utilized for. Many of the cans I've seen for the M67 have the spacer/cushion glued in the top.

Rick

Hi.

Stenciled on this M67 is

GRENADE, HAND, FRAG, DELAY, M67
4-69 COMP B MA-10-9

Cheers

Attachments

• m 67 4 BOCN.jpg
    m 67 4 BOCN.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I'd say that narrows it down considerably. Here's hoping others with M67s in their collections will check the manufacture dates and post a note abouth it.
Now, the big question is, will GTR get Kiwi's M67 to complete the "set", or vice versa? Enquiring minds want to know.
(I know, MA-11-14 vs MA-10-9, but that's just being picky),

LoL, I actually did ask about the grenade, but it was sold many years ago on Ebay before it all fell apart. But if anyone else has one...

GTR

Rick

You are correct in that the can manufacture date does not necessarily represent the grenade manufacture date. For example, Justin's can is dated 4-69 with a lot of MA-11-14 and I have pictured a can with a date of 5-69 and an earlier lot of MA-11-13. I have a case of the cans that Justin displayed and none of them have the shipping cushion glued into them. I've only seen that in 1980's and later cans. I've also posted a picture of can can for the M61 "lemon" grenade with a 6-69 date which definitely shows that there was an overlap when both style grenades were being manufactured/issued. I've also pictured a XM228 fuze with a 5-72 date which is the latest date that I've ever seen for an XM228 fuze which shows that the fuze for the M69 training version, if not the entire M69 grenade, was still being developed for several years after the M33/M67 was fielded.

--John

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 20