What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Mk1 Illumination Grenade Factory Inert

inertordnance

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Here are some photos of a factory Inert Mk1 Illumination Grenade Training Aid with Mk1 Fuze that I picked up a few years back. The body is ink marked INERT and it has Inert delay and quick match components in the fuze for visual reference.

Attachments

• US MK1 Illuminating 045.jpg
    US MK1 Illuminating 045.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 78
  • US MK1 Illuminating 033.jpg
    US MK1 Illuminating 033.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 45
  • US MK1 Illuminating 037.jpg
    US MK1 Illuminating 037.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 35
  • US MK1 Illuminating 035.jpg
    US MK1 Illuminating 035.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 31
  • US MK1 Illuminating 042.jpg
    US MK1 Illuminating 042.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 57
  • US MK1 Illuminating 044.jpg
    US MK1 Illuminating 044.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 43
Nice to see one with the correct fuze. I've got two repainted body's, but I dont have the correct fuzes.

Very nice Mk 1 specimen. Unfortunately you have two manufacturer codes I do not have in my reference listing so I can't help you there. The thing that strikes me about your grenade is the very large "INERT" on it. A marking that large is seldom seen on US material of this size. I have a Mk 1 that has puzzled me for awhile. It has the standard body, but heat swaged over the seam is a shrink plastic that extends almost the length of the body. I can find no reference to that ever being done on this grenade. Unfortunately all the markings on the body were removed so I cannot trace the maker or the time frame made. The fuze is also completely unmarked, yet it was a proper fuze for the grenade because it was designed exactly like yours. These are a pain to inert and I have very seldom seen one assembled inert so you have a real prize.

Attachments

• Grenades 15.jpg
    Grenades 15.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 62
heres a mk1 i used to own which has the shrink wrap label on it. it is marked NAVY. it has its matching container too.
wish i had kept it now:tinysmile_cry_t3:
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• Page11Mk1illum.jpg
    Page11Mk1illum.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 57
  • mk1 label.jpg
    mk1 label.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Thanks for that info and the photos. It would have no doubt helped if someone had not taken the time to scrape off all the markings on mine!!! I hope you got something good in trade for this one because it was certainly an excellent example of the Mk 1. Again, thanks for the posting and solving a mystery for me. Every time I visit this site I see more and more how little I know about ordnance items and how much knowledge and material the members have. Bob