What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US MKII Grenade (Non threaded top)

PBWWII

Hey everyone, I just got this the other day and am not really sure what it is. It appears to be a wwii era mkii grenade but the top is unthreaded and has a smaller diameter than others I have. The bottom is also solid. And the side is marked with an "E". It has been painted gold, and appears to be old. I'm not sure if this was a lighter or what it actually is. Has anyone seen something like this? Any help would be appreciated.

grenade4.JPGgrenade3.JPGgrenade2.JPGgrenade.jpg

Hello PBWW11
I think it is a early MK11 that was not threaded,the ones that have the screw in the bottom.More than likely someone welded and ground of the weld tell it was like it is.
If you do not have one of the early Mk11,s im sure there is a picture in the search section.I have seen a lot of them that were not threaded.
Vinny

Thanks for the response, i took a look inside with a light and the bottom does seem to be casted and not welded. The hole on the top wont fit any fuze such as m10, or older mki fuzes i have laying around. its almost seems to me its the size of the hole before they would of put it on threader( don't know if they casted in the threads or did it after the casting).

Also ive never heard of a non threaded mk era grenade, how would the fuse be seucred to the grenade?

Most likely just an unfinished body that somebody got for a souvenir. Perhaps someone that worked in the factory and wanted a momento or some such thing.