What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US MKII Grenade Spoons

Dirt Detective

Thought there might be a couple here who would like to see a small part of my MKII Grenade spoon collection.

Last edited:
Nice spoon collection Dirt Detective and well shown. This should make for an interesting thread. Thanks for the showing. Quite a bit harder to put together than most could imagine. Well done...Dano

Last edited:
Thanks Dano, I would like to add these are all original WWII painted or zinc colored. None of them have been repainted.

Great collection and as was already mentioned a LOT harder to accumulate than one might think. I seldom see just the spoons and not many legitimate fuzes. I've attached a photos of an M10A2 and M10A3 fuze from my collection. The A2 is an Eastman Kodak production and it came from an original unopened pack of them last year. A friend of mine discovered the pack and was successful in liberating a few which have since been inerted. The A3 is attached to a Mk IIA1 grenade that was discovered in its original fiber container jammed in the rafters of an old house in the town where I live. It is a totally inert and was evidently a military souvenier that has been hidden away for a very long time. It is in mint condition. It has a PMC code, which could be Practical Manufacturing Co. in Minnesota, but I cannot confirm that. Both spoons are OD and the end of the A3 handle is painted black for an inch upwards. The top of the A3 has both embossed and ink stamped model numbers and codes. The good news about your collection is that you can mail them all over without any questions or problems. Good hunting!!

OK, I suppose it would be a lot better if I actually posted the photos like I said in the previous post.

Attachments

• M10A2 fuze.jpg
    M10A2 fuze.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 51
  • M10A3 fuze.jpg
    M10A3 fuze.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 61
There were a load of fake spoons and fuzes floating around last year. Are these still doing the rounds?

Not sure if you are talking about this guy but there was a guy in England selling large quantities of MKII fuzes and spoons saying he recovered them from a recycling center and he assured they were WWII vintage.

Last edited:
Not sure if you are talking about this guy but there was a guy in England selling large quantities of MKII fuzes and spoons saying he recovered them from a recycling center and he assured they were WWII vintage. This guy was selling them for $10 ea. I cant prove they are repos..I didn't see when these were made but here is what I found and compared them to the original's I have.
The nose of the fake (imo) is much smaller than a known original, you can see the mold mark on the inside of an orig. ( some original don't have this mark) but the quality of the metal in that area on fake is not as good.
The engraving on the spoon of the fake is obvious to me. Check out the pics..see what everyone thinks
Thanks Dirt Detective, That was certainly very informative. Of course I was well aware that these MKII spoons were being reproduced but did not know what the subtle differences were. Just awesome. I think someone else has brought up the possibility of a seperate catagory of its own on fakes and reproductions and the like, and I think that would be a very good idea. Todays collector needs to be "armed to the teeth" with information especially when it comes to the higher end reproductions, fakes and pure fantasy pieces. Hope I didn't get too off topic on this thread...Respectfullly...Dano

Hi Dano,
Another thing I dont like about those (fake) spoons is in the area where the spoon bends forward. In this photo you can see a raised area at both corners..not as smooth as an original. Between the lettering and this feature I think its a repo..
I looked for a thread that covered this fake fuze a spoon but could not find it, do you have a link to the thread?

Last edited: