What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Modified Mark Series Bomb.

DEADLINE222

After a long night of scanning through microfilm, I ran into information pertaining to a type of bomb that I have only seen in two pictures. In both pictures, this type of bomb is being loaded into B-17 bombers for use in the practice bomb role.

I am fascinated by the old Mark series of bombs, and would alomst go as far to say that they are my favortie objects in the ordnance world.

I am very intrigued by the addapting of AN series box type fins and fuzes to the old Mark series casings.

Does anyone have any detailed information on the Modified Mark Series bombs? Pictures?

I am determined to obtain an example of every type of US bomb ever made, so I must ask if anyone has ever seen a complete example in the flesh? Or even part of one?

Below is one of the two pictures I have ever seen. I cropped the soldier as his face looks silly. :)

MMSB.jpg

You mention the "old" MK series of bombs - you mean the "new" MK series of bombs, the LDGP from the early 1960s to present? Your photo appears to be a new MK series, probably what evolved into the MK81 (250lb) or MK82 (500lb). If you plan on collecting all of the US bombs I hope you have plenty of room, you're going to need it. If you get a chance take a trip to the USAF museum at Wright Patt (Dayton). They are spread out quite a bit, but there is a pretty good selection of US bombs on hand. Probably less than 25% of what you're looking for, but still a pretty decent selection.

I know all about the National Museum of the United States Air Force. I have visited several times a year since the early 1980s.

I know even more about bombs when it comes to real world space management, hauling across the county and so on. I could post pics, or even a video of a ANM-64a1 flying out of the trunk of my Chevy Cavailer, flying across the garage floor; knocking over my lathe and destoying most of the front levers.

But I don't want to bore you.

What I am refering to when I say "old", are the World War One, high capacity MK series bombs.

The MK I, 100 pounder

MK II, 25 pound practice

MK III, 50 pounder

MK IV, 250 pounder, and so on.

Apparently, back in the day, someone thought it would be a good idea to modify these old MK series bombs to attempt to bring them up to AN specifications.

Furthermore, just for laughs, if that bomb in the picture was the smallest of the MK80 series, an EMPTY MK81; you would understand why the soldier's face looks funny. I frown upon moving mine around on it's cart.

Here is a visual aid:

MMMSB.jpg

My bad, I didn't closely enough at the photo. The eyes see what they think is there, not always what they actually see.

Then this would be the 100lb shown in your page from OP1664 - ?

There were at least a couple of pre-WWII manuals on bombs, I'll try to remember and look for them when I get home tonight.

So how far along are you on your goal then?

I've found little or nothing on the box fins used on the early MK series bombs. In addition to the two pages you'vve got in OP1664 the exact same data is included in the Sep 1945 USNBD EOD document; United States Bombs and Fuzes, Pyrotechnics. That is the only other reference i've found so far.

In regard to the un-modified MK series bombs there are a number of good references. One of the best is TR 1370-G, Miscellaneous Ammunition, Bombs for Aircraft. Dated 1930 it is 166 pages on the bombs and their fuzes. If you are looking for better data try the Service Handbooks on the individual bombs, prepared by the Office of the Chief of Ordnance. All that I have seen are dated either 1919 or 1920, they are each given a separate document number, i.e. the 100lb MK I is 993.

Sorry no modified info, better luck next time. Let me know if you need something on one of the others.

Here is another small picture.

As far as the time period of the image:

The aircraft is a very early model Boeing B-17. I know all about the B-17 ( bottom mounted gun-tub and shark fin style, vertical stabilizer painted like US flag) but I cannot say exactly what model it is. Even if we knew the model, it could still be later in the war, and older models were kept stateside for training.

B17MMSB.png