What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Navy 16" Iowa class BATTLESHIP projectile shell

kz11gr

Hello

Auction .

MINT condition, 5 FEET tall and weighs 2000 POUNDS

attachment.php

attachment.php

0.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Description for Item
transparentcorner_topright.gif

Original US Navy 16" inert high explosive projectile. This projectile would have been fired from the US Navy's Iowa Class battleships and symbolizes the pinnacle of naval firepower.
To be in the presence of the projectile is extremely impressive, as it stands 5 feet 4 inches tall and weighs almost 2,000 pounds!!!
And to try and wrap your brain around its ballistic performance is a hard thing to do.......this is a 1,900 pound "bullet" traveling at a speed of 2,700 feet per second....which means its muzzle energy was around 215 MILLION foot pounds!!!
On top of all that kinetic energy it carried 153 pounds of high explosive to its target.....up to 20 MILES AWAY.....using 660 pounds of gunpowder!!!

These projectiles rarely turn up for sale anymore, but when they do, they are almost always demiled.....having their copper drive band removed or mutilated, or having a large torch cut in the projectile's fuze well. This projectile has never been demiled and is in mint condition. It was inert loaded at the arsenal to ballistically simulate the live "high capacity" weight. Included in the auction is a lifting shackle, so you can lift and move the projectile with an engine hoist or forklift. Shipping will be via UPS Freight(or the carrier of the buyer's choice) and will cost $300-$900 depending on where you live in the US.

No international shipping. ... etc ....

Last edited:
next pictures (2)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
next pictures (3)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
I seem to recall having seen the actual cannon barrels for sale within the last year or two. Imagine the black-powder cannon one could make!

As I heard it, they only sold the first 6 feet of the muzzle of the barrels. I think a friend of mine bought one, but I haven't seen it yet.