What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Us Navy 3"/50 Mk.29 projectile markings?

wingsofwrath

Hello, having acquired a 1948 dated Mk.7 cartridge case for the US Navy 3"/50 gun, I am looking for the proper markings for a postwar Mk.29 projectile.

I have a good image of what the inscription on the earlier, unfilled projectile fitted with the Mk.4 tracer looked like, but only partial or very low resolution of what the postwar version fitted with the Army M66A1/2 fuze looks like. If I'm not mistaken, I think at least one of the projectiles pictured below are property of BOCN members, so please, if you can, I'd be very grateful for some better pictures, or at least a confirmation that I got it right.

Of the little I can read, the proper inscription seems to be on the lines of either:

ALN - PK - 17 - McA - 51 (manufacturer, lot year, etc)
3"/50 AP-PROJ. Mk.29
(gun it's used in, type of projectile, etc)
BDF M66A2 TR (R) INT
(Base Detonating Fuze, M66A2, Tracer, Red, Integral)

ALN - PK - 15 - HI - 55
3"/50 AP-PROJ. Mk.29
BDF M66A1 ARMY
(and something else, sadly unreadable)

Also, there seems to be a repainted projectile out there with what looks to me like a dubious inscription, because not only is the projectile band marked "42", but the inscription also mentions BUR CHG EX "D" but the very next line says TRACER MK.4 and the manual is very specific not only about the fact the filled projectiles are fitted with the Army M66A1/2, but also that the latter has an integral tracer.

Attachments

• Mk.29 1942 unfilled, Mk.4.jpeg
    Mk.29 1942 unfilled, Mk.4.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Mk.29 postwar filled, Mk66A2.jpeg
    Mk.29 postwar filled, Mk66A2.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Mk.29 postwar, filled, Mk66A1.jpg
    Mk.29 postwar, filled, Mk66A1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Mk.29 postwar, lowres.jpg
    Mk.29 postwar, lowres.jpg