What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Navy 70mm Grenades

EODGUY

I post these in this section only because the Navy called them "grenades". During early 1970, the Navy began an in-house program to replace the 40mm grenade on their small patrol boats. They worked on a scaled up version of the 40mm round. The Military Arms Division of Colt also submitted multiple cartridge designs and four weapons candidates to the Navy. All of the ammunition was 70mm in diameter. There was a caseless hi-lo pressure system, a caseless mono-pressure system and a cased hi-lo pressure system. One of the cased versions is the upper grenade in photo 1. It is 10.5" long with a 2.5" long tapered case. The mono-pressure caseless system was truely a unique design. The propellant chamber was attached to the base of the projectile and crimped shut. When fired the crimped chamber opened. The length of this version was 7.25" and it weighed 4.3 pounds. It carried 4 pounds of explosives. An example is the lower grenade in photo 1. Photo 2 shows the crimped base of the grenade. The program died a quiet death and no prodcution was undertaken on any of the designs.

Attachments

• Navy exper grenades.jpg
    Navy exper grenades.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Navy exper. grenade base.jpg
    Navy exper. grenade base.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 70mm Grenade.jpg
    70mm Grenade.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 88
Were you part of this program for the navy? If so did you ever see any of these 70mm'

I post these in this section only because the Navy called them "grenades". During early 1970, the Navy began an in-house program to replace the 40mm grenade on their small patrol boats. They worked on a scaled up version of the 40mm round. The Military Arms Division of Colt also submitted multiple cartridge designs and four weapons candidates to the Navy. All of the ammunition was 70mm in diameter. There was a caseless hi-lo pressure system, a caseless mono-pressure system and a cased hi-lo pressure system. One of the cased versions is the upper grenade in photo 1. It is 10.5" long with a 2.5" long tapered case. The mono-pressure caseless system was truely a unique design. The propellant chamber was attached to the base of the projectile and crimped shut. When fired the crimped chamber opened. The length of this version was 7.25" and it weighed 4.3 pounds. It carried 4 pounds of explosives. An example is the lower grenade in photo 1. Photo 2 shows the crimped base of the grenade. The program died a quiet death and no prodcution was undertaken on any of the designs.

Can you supply more information on these grenades, especially the weapon? Did it look like a scaled Mk 19?

Would this item be part of the 70mm program you were talking about? Though the description says bio/chem others I have talked with said t was designed for smoke and CS. I have not other info onthese rounds, the source they came from has since past away.

MIKE10.JPGMIKE11.JPGMIKE12.JPG

nice find, book book to add to the library. I spend a lot of time on that site, never fails to amaze me what you can find with the right search words

XM-129 40mm Grenade Launcher that was used on the AH-1G HueyCobra

Does anyone out there know if any XM-129's still exist?