What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US T80 - T85 3.5 Inch Rockets?

inertordnance

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Does anyone have any information on US Model T80 (HEAT) or T85 (Practice) 3.5 Inch Rockets? I am specifically looking for information on the original body colors for the head, stabilizer tube and fins for each model for a restoration project. Photos of nomenclature would also be helpful. Any and all information would be appreciated!

Thanks and stay safe,

Frank

Attachments

• US T80 3.5 Inch.jpg
    US T80 3.5 Inch.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 49
The HE model is all OD with yellow markings on across the middle section of the warhead. The exception being the fins and the contact ring which are left pretty much bare steel. Should be three lines. One is (at the very top) type, caliber and model. The second one is the lot number, and the third one is temperature limits. This is called the M28A2 in my 1964 manual.

The "practice" round is painted that all blue practice paint with white lettering. On the warhead it has the same nomenclature in the same lines only in white.

This color code all changed sometime after 1964. It then went something like this: The HEAT went stayed od up to the point of reaching the warhead, then it was colored black with yellow markings on it. The "Practice" rounds remained the same throughout.

What else do you want to know?

Hello V40,

Thanks for responding with the information. By chance does your manual mention the T80 or T85 Rockets specifically? I have an earlier M20 3.5" Launcher Manual Dated April 1953 and it only covers the M28 and M29 Series Rockets, no mention of the T Series. Beyond that I have not been able to locate any published data, except for some limited ID information with a line drawing on ORDATA.

Just got a chance to take some photos (attached) of the Inert T85 that I have. The Head and motor tube are unfinished and do not appear to have ever been cleaned or had a paint finish applied. The aluminum tail fin assembly has a red colored paint finish that appears to be original. The interior of the motor tube has signs of burnt propellant residue, so I know that it was fired at some time (At least for testing)? For all that I know the current condition may be origional???

Thanks and stay safe,

Frank

Attachments

• T85 002.jpg
    T85 002.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 72
  • T85 003.jpg
    T85 003.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 50
I see the way that rocket is. It is also not anything that I'd realize that would belong to a 3.5". So, I would believe that your rocket was used experimentally in the begining trials of the Super Bazooka. It looks like nothing like the more recent rockets. I don't know if your manual says this or not. But on mine they describe what a "T" series means on a rocket. Development items are indicated by letter "T" or "XM". I can only stand to wonder that this would actually be a test round from an original test of the weapon in the developmental stages of the 3.5" rocket.

Congratulations on that one Frank. It really amazes me how stupid I can be at times. I must have looked at that auction listing 5 or 6 times without the light going on. And I have a copy of OP1664 on the shelf with the line drawing of it too!

The earliest manual I'm aware of on the M20 3.5" launcher is the TM9-297 from December, 1948. The T74 was standardized as the M20 3.5" rocket launcher on October 11, 1945 but the planned production of 5,000 launchers was cancelled as unneeded after the war ended. And, of course, they didn't do too much more in the next five years, so they were caught flat footed when the Korean war started and had to issue old 2.36" bazookas to shoot at the T34s.

Note the rounds by 1948 had the shorter M28 style warhead but still had a unique fin. It is described as being aluminum in the TM and protrudes further forward than later types. Not as unique as the T80/T85 fin, but different than is normally seen. As can be seen the the data table, they were up to the "E2" varient by then. Color and markings codes seem pretty standard and I'll bet the early rocket was similar.

We have an example of the HEAT rocket, in cutaway, at the museum I work with, but I'm pretty sure it has been repainted and won't tell us much. Dittos for the one that used to be on display at Picatinny. The third image below is a specimen in another friend's collection. Perhaps it's a transitional piece as it has the long, early warhead but the later, 1st pattern M28/M29 tail fin. And, unfortunately, no paint. Hope this helps a bit.

Attachments

• Early 3.5 inch Rockets.jpg
    Early 3.5 inch Rockets.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 62
  • Early 3.5 inch Rocket table.jpg
    Early 3.5 inch Rocket table.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 49
  • two 3.5s.jpg
    two 3.5s.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 70
Hello Rick,

Thanks for responding and posting your information, it defiantly helps! I believe at this point that I am going to leave the rocket in its current condition.

Thanks again and stay safe,

Frank