What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US/UK 3 inch L/70 naval case dimensions?

Tony Williams

In the 1950s the US and UK introduced new, high-velocity, fast-firing L/70 naval guns which used the same ammo.

The British used their version only as secondary armament on the three Tiger class cruisers. The USN used theirs briefly on some frigates. Both were twin mountings, and rather troublesome. The Canadians made most use of them, fitting the British mounting to a number of frigates and keeping them in service for much longer than the USN or RN.

I have case dimensions of 76.2x662R for the British case and 76.2x669R for the US one. Does anyone know the rim diameter?

Tony - I happen to have a 3" L/70 at the moment (merely storing it for a friend) and the rim diameter is 138mm.

Will we see you in Germany?

Regards
TonyE

Tony,

Not sure if the info is true or not, but I heard that the U.S. 3 inch 70 cal guns were also used on some aircraft carriers.

Hi
1 Just wanted to say that the UK case was not made of brass
2 The round also fitted the Canadian gun.

Hope this info helps

Yours
Steve ex EMD RNAD Trecwn

Tony,

Not sure if the info is true or not, but I heard that the U.S. 3 inch 70 cal guns were also used on some aircraft carriers.
According to Friedman's book on US naval weapons, the mountings were fitted to Mitscher class destroyers, the command cruiser Northampton, the ASW frigate Norfolk and some converted Gearing class destroyers. The mounting was troublesome and overweight, and its purpose of air defence was being covered by missiles almost as the gun got into service. It was replaced on all of the ships which carried it except for Norfolk, which carried it to the end.