What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US WW2 30-06 ? Headstamp

Weasel

Premium Member
Can anyone shed any light on this head stamp for me please, found on the cliffs near a WW2 British / US airfield. it appears to be a 30-06 case but the head stamp does not match.

Best regards in advance Weasel.

Attachments

• 30-06.jpg
    30-06.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 62
Hi Weasel,
These 30-06 were made for the RAF during WW2,hence the .300" z headstamp.
Cheers
Tony

Fantastic, thank you had me a little confused that one.
Best Weasel.

300z

Just to add a little detail to Tony's reply.

These rounds were a commercial contract placed by the Air Ministry with Remington, and are found in ball, tracer, AP and drill. There was a similar contract for .50 Browning in the same loads with the headstamp "RA 1940 50CALZ", the "Z" of course indicating nitrocellulose propellant. We aslo purchased considerable quantities of both 30-06 and .50 BMG direct from the US government and these were headstamped and colour coded to normal US standards

These contracts were initially paid for from British gold reserves, but following the introduction of Lend Lease the US government took over responsibility for supply. I think the last year of these contracts is 1942.

Regards
TonyE

Thank you Tony,
I was unaware of that whole side of things, Best Weasel.