What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USN MK 59-0 Fuze

raymeketa

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Does anyone have a photo of a USN MK 59-0 projectile fuze. It was the first VT fuze used in the new 5"/54 MK 16 gun in 1945 or 1946.

Or, a photo of any of the later MK 59 VT fuzes.

Thanks

Ray

Ray, the only thing I can find so far is in the OP1664, page 115, which shows the drawing of the MK 45 Fuze, but the caption reads, "V.T. Fuze, MK 45 (and above) Type", which leads me to believe that they are all structurally similar. Don't know if this helps or hinders. R/S Bruce.

Bruce - The MK 59 is a much bigger fuze, designed for the 5"/54. I believe they all operated the same, basically, and were physically alike in the interior components. So I suppose they could all be considered the same "type", as compared with the later ones that were adjustable, etc. I do have a USN document that shows one but, unfortunately, the illustration is not a very good one and doesn't show any detail. But, thanks.

Ray

Ray,

Here is a photograph of the internal workings of the MK 53. The Naval Historical Center describes the MK 59 as being almost identical function wise other then a "slightly different contour and a somewhat different rear fitting safety device to permit operation of the 5"/54 projectile spin".

Randall

Attachments

• shell2.jpg
    shell2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 21
Randall

I appreciate your replies. I have both of the drawings. Unfortunately, neither show any detail of the MK 59 itself. I was hoping that someone had one, or a real-time photograph, that they could lead me to.

Thanks.

Ray