What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USN MK 59 VT Fuze

raymeketa

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
I know that this is a Cutaway Forum but I'm interested in going in the opposite direction. I want to fabricate a replica MK 59 VT fuze to complete the restoration of a 5"/54 projectile but cannot find any details of the interior of the fuze. I have the usual photographs and drawings of the outside but nothing to tell me what the guts looked like and how much of the interior detail can be seen through the green plastic exterior. I know that all of the early USN VT fuzes had similar interior components and functions but the MK 59 was a new and larger fuze and must have had it's own unique features. I've asked on other forums with no response and thought possibly someone her can help. So, help?

Thanks

Ray

Here's one that I made some time ago. I patterned it after the MK 58 but I'm mostly guessing. It's dimensionally correct but the camera angle makes the steel housing and detonator look too small.

What do you guys think???

Ray
mk59-1.jpg