What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very strange WWI F-1 Grenade

wichitaslumlord

Premium Member
Here are some pictures of a WWI F-1 that I just picked up at a show. The fuze is machined from solid steel as is the adaptor that connects the fuze to the lower threaded shaft. This lower shaft screws into the filler plug hole and has a slot cut cut in it to look like a filler plug.
When it is assembled and the serrations are aligned it is almost impossible to see the seam between the upper and lower pieces.
A considerable amount of precision machine work went into creating this piece but for what purpose?
The machine work was done a long time ago as it has a considerable patina from age.
If it were a training or instructional item why not section it in the normal manner and use a real fuze?
I would welcome any input. THANKS! Pat

I had a friend take these pictures at the show and email them to me. It seems that they have been compressed and will not enlarge. Sorry! I can post good pictures when my camera returns from being repaired if anyone needs them. Thanks again, Pat

Attachments

• f-1.jpg
    f-1.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 47
  • F-1 #2.jpg
    F-1 #2.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 39
  • F-1 #3.jpg
    F-1 #3.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 42
  • F-1 #4.jpg
    F-1 #4.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 30
  • F-1 #5.jpg
    F-1 #5.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 33
  • F-1 # 6.jpg
    F-1 # 6.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 38
  • F-1 #7.jpg
    F-1 #7.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I thought I would bounce this back to the top again and see if anyone has an idea about this one. THANKS! Pat

Hi Pat, Have seen literallly hundreds of French WW1 defensive F1's but never seen the likes of this one. Interesting to say the least. Maybe some early trench art or something along those lines. Wish I could help more...Dano