What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very unusual 50cal ammo can???

wichitaslumlord

Premium Member
Hello, Can anyone identify this ammo can? It is the right size for 50cal rounds and has two feed rollers of slightly different size on one shaft to feed the ammo. THANKS! Pat

Attachments

• ammo can2.jpg
    ammo can2.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 25
  • ammo can1.jpg
    ammo can1.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 28
  • ammo can4.jpg
    ammo can4.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 28
  • ammo can3.jpg
    ammo can3.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 33
Hi ,
Looks very much like a version of a F4U Corsair wing ammo can,or maybe for a different aircraft?.
I've a couple but they are all alloy.
The lid formed a panel of the wing top surface.
Cheers ,Bob.

Thanks for your thoughts Bob.
It makes sense that it would be for internal aircraft use due to its light weight construction and the fact that it is not sealed in any way.
If anyone has a specific identification I would appreciate it. THANKS! Pat

Hey Bud,

Look what I found by gooffing around on the net... http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/wwii-50-cal-ammo-box-nose-tail-24-17-76084114

It's an auction thing, more likely on e-bay. anyway... apparently, (because I did not found anything else !)this is an extra ammo box that was used in the nose and tail sections of the B-17, B-24 and B-25 Bombers. It is made of phenolic plastic and aluminum with a canvas handle. The box was made by New Plastic Corp. of Los Angeles which changed it's name to NUPLA in 1941 after being sold to one of the executives. Since it has both names on the box, it puts it in the WWII era of manufacture. New Plastics corp. also is the company that developed phenolic plastic so this is most likely the first company that made these boxes.

Hope that was helpfull.
Cheers.
FCAT.