What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vickers WW1 3 pdr case

Vasco Da Gama

I thought it worth posting a couple of pictures of a Vickers 3pdr used by the Royal Navy in WW1. I understand that this gun was introduced in around 1903 to replace the Hotchkiss version as the standard light anti-torpedo boat weapon. This weapon used a longer case 47x413, with a rim of 67mm (standard 3pdr case 376, rim 65mm). My example has been well used showing a Full Charge and 2 uses as a Reduced Charge. The bigger case coupled with a 50 calibre barrel gave increased muzzle velocity, 2587ft/sec against 1867ft/sec. These guns were also preferred for anti-aircraft work due to the higher muzzle velocity. Does anybody know anything about the projectiles? I suspect they are different as the crimping mark are deeper in to the case than the Hotchkiss 3pdr.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 44