What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vietnam aera BC bombs

genkideskan

Honoured Member RIP
Here are some rare pics of the special BC bombs used by the USS Midway Skyraider crews.
High tec fuzes and fin assemblies. Bomb bowl from pottery - made by Ferguson - splashes hard and powerful. These bowls are made for hard navy use.
Dropping these weapons kept Charly running in panic :).

For gods sake - at the outer pod of a Skyraider

Details of mounting and fuze

The peak of US craftmanship. Details of the secret tail assembly.
Note markings.

I've seen photos of a kitchen sink that was dropped from a Skyraider too.

One interesting thing in your first photo, is the WWII era bomb with the conical fin installed for low-drag. These fins are really hard to find.

Yes, a huge number of photos from Korea and early Viet Nam wars show the WWII bombs on the prop driven and slower jet aircraft. The nose fuzes on the bombs in your photo are M103 fuzes made in WWII.

These were also dropped by some of the B-52s in vietnam too. When the bomb shortage began they would drop anything they could strap down on an M.E.R.S. was used. Very good picture if I do say so myself. Also, it could not have been picked as the aircraft shown, the A-1 Skyraider.

V40