What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vietnam MIN Mine

EODGUY

Two Vietcong made MIN mines I carted back from jungle-land. The lower one has the word "MIN" cast into the body at the left side. The upper one does not. Where we encountered these, they were attahed to trees with a cord thru the hole on the metal end. A trip wire was then attached to the pull friction fuze on the other end. Normally filled with TNT recovered from US ordnance.

Attachments

• MIN.jpg
    MIN.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 78
Nice mines Bob! Over the years in some manuals, I have seen other cast steel mines made by the NVA/cong that had MIN on them. Was MIN a production facility or was it just their version of the word "mine"?

Good question and one I do not have a good answer for. I have always assumed that it was a term for "mine", but I have not found it in any Vietnamese dictionary, nor ever had any confirmation of that. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on it.

Bob,

I looked in one of my research books along with others forms from Vienam. Here is what I found about the MIN mine.

"MIN mines with with a row of five serrated segments have a two to four second time delay friction igniter.fuse; those with a seven serrated segments have an instant fuse.

These have been generally classified as mines in Official U.S. Army Manuals versus grenades, but with a weight around 2.2 pounds and a short handle those of which have a time delay could theoretically be thrown like a stick grenade."

In my South Vietnamese manuals it also refers to these as MIN mines as to not even mention why these items are called "MIN" mines. Hazord might be correct on all counts.

Also, there are an incredibal amount of Mines and Grenades that the VC used in there jungle factories "MIN" jusy might have been the largest of them all with a little more "specialty" abilities.

By the way, they are very nice pieces!

Sorry I could not help with the "MIN". Maybe the info provide will give you some idea of why the number of serrations means.

Bob, could you show us more items from the Vietnam War?

V40

Last edited:
Bob, I found out definately what MIN means. Just didn't bother to look on another page in the South Vietnamese manual. MIN is in fact MINE in South Vietnames. Sorry I forgot to dig a little deeper guys.

Now it might mean another item in the North Vietnamese dialect.

Yes, infact the North Vietnamese language is a different, but in some ways close to the South's, a different dialect than the South's.

Good shot Hazord.

V40

Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I thought, but never was able to dig it out. The one of these I wanted to bring back looked like these on steroids. It was cast in the identical shape without the "MIN", but it was easily three times the size of these. It is the only one of that size I ever saw and unfortunately was not able to latch on to it and inert it.