What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VOG-17M cartridge for the Russian 30mm "Plamyja" machine cannon

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway models of two cartridges for the Russian 30mm AGS-17 Plamyja (Flame) machine cannon. Left, a practice cartridge with a dummy aluminium nose piece and on the right a VOG-17M HE-Frag-SD (High Explosive -Fragmentation- Self Destruct) cartridge with the VMG-M -pyrotechnic delay- self destruct fuze.

The AGS-17 can be considered the Russian counterpart of the American 40x46mm XM174 and MK19 machine cannons.
The AGS-17 is meant to be used against troops covered and uncovered-, unarmoured vehicles and light fortifications.
As it can saturate an area with fragmentation projectiles in a very short time it is very effective against Human wave types of attack.

The AGS-17 was designed at the KBTM design bureau of A.E. Nudelman and accepted for service in 1971. The weapon is a blowback fed weapon with a firing rate varying from single shot up to 420 rpm. However the weapon will be more inaccurate as the firing rate rises.
Weight of the complete weapon with tripod mount and a drum of cartridges is 31 kg, of which the mount weighs 12 kg. A drum magazine is placed on the right side of the weapon and houses 29 belted cartridges.
The maximum range of the projectile is 1.730 mtrs (up to 800 mtrs precise). The muzzle velocity of the projectile is 185 mtrs/sec.
An AGS-17 crew normally exists of three soldiers.

The AGS-17A is the longer barreled version of the AGS-17. The rifling twist in this barrel has been reduced from 600 to 715mm, increasing the firing rate to 450/500 rpm.

The AGS-17 is used by the following countries: Afghanistan, Angola, Bulgaria, Chad, China, Cuba, Finland, Georgia, India, Iran, Iraq, Latvia, Montenegro, Mozambique, Nicaragua, North Korea, Ploand, Russia, Serbia, Vietnam.

The AGS-17 in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGg3jjB9S8c

The AGS-30 is the redisigned AGS-17. Its development started in 1990, and the weapon was accepted for service in 1999. The weight of the complete weapon with tripod mount and a drum of cartridges is only 16,5 kg nearly half the weight of the AGM-17!-, which makes the weapon very easy to carry and in change of position. This makes the weapon very suitable for combat in urban areas. The recoil has also been reduced/smoothened which improves accuracy. It also has a lower firing profile (noise/flash).
An AGS-30 crew normally exists of two soldiers.
The maximum range of the projectile is 1.730 mtrs. The muzzle velocity of the projectile is 185 mtrs/sec.

The AGS-30 is used by the following countries: Russia, Azarbaijan and Armenia.

The AGS-30 in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulH7Kr-UQEU&feature=related

Both the AGS-17 and AGS-30 can also be found in vehicle mounted cupola- versions, as well as a helikopter mounted versions for the AGS-17 which could be found in the nose pod of the Mi-24 Hind and in the opened side door(s) of the MI-8 Hip transport helicopter.

The 30x29B (Belted) shellcase is steel made and cadmium plated.

The VOG -17M HE-Frag-SD projectile exists of a thin walled machined steel body, however thicker at the base. A rolled up prefragmentated wire is placed in the thin walled part of the projectile body and forms the fragmentation sleeve. A small red copper driving band is placed on the lower body. The projectile is filled with a cylinder shaped explosive charge (gray).

Functioning of the VMG-M -pyrotechnic delay- self destruct fuze:
Upon firing, the sleeve (1) is moved downward by the inertia force, riding the spring (2). This creates the space needed for the rolled up spring (3) to expand into a groove (4)and prevent this from being closed as the sleeve (1) moves upward again, together with the hammer pin (5). The two axial revolving T-shaped levers (6) are also released and rotate upward with their centre piece, enabeling the firing pin (7) to move upward under influence of its spring (8).
The centrifugal safety pin (9) is retracted from the firing cap slider, riding its spring (10), releasing the firing cap slider (11).
At the same moment the firing cap (12) of de self detruct mechanism rides the spring (13) down into the firing pin (14). This ignites a powder train (15) that runs into two directions. One direction is the short delay that burns away a small sulfer pellet in the spring loaded vertical pin (16) that prevents the firing cap slider (11) from sliding under the firing pin. When the pellet is burned away, the spring retracts the pin and the v-shaped spring (17) on the firing cap slider pulls the firing cap slider under the firing pin, arming the projectile. The other direction is the pyrotechnic fuze which burns through a circular channel in the base of the safety block to the other side and ignites a big heat senisitive- detonator which is connected to the firing cap with a channel. This is the self destruct mechanism. It will function in between 28 and 36 seconds.
Upon impact, the sleeve (1) is hammered down by the hammer pin (5), fastly rotating both levers (6), and pushing the firing pin (7) in the firing cap. The flame of the firing cap will pass into the detonator (pink) through the central channel, exploding the main charge (gray) in the projectile body.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• Practice VOG-17 projectile and VOG-17M HE-FRAG-SD for AGS-17.jpg
    Practice VOG-17 projectile and VOG-17M HE-FRAG-SD for AGS-17.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 174
  • VMG-M fuze side view on inertia firing pin SD mechanism (with numbers).jpg
    VMG-M fuze side view on inertia firing pin SD mechanism (with numbers).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 151
  • VMG-M SD fuze on VOG-17M HE-FRAG-SD projectile (with numbers).jpg
    VMG-M SD fuze on VOG-17M HE-FRAG-SD projectile (with numbers).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 139
  • drawing VMG-M fuze.jpg
    drawing VMG-M fuze.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 133
  • AGS-17.jpg
    AGS-17.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 85
  • AGS-30.jpg
    AGS-30.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 76
The left one is the "VOG-17M LAF" which is a proof round. These projectiles are being used for dummy rounds too since they are the only intert versions.
The practice version is the VUS-17/VUS-17M which has a life fuze, a smoke charge (red smoke) and two emission holes in the projectile body.

pzgr40, Thanks for showing that and the description. The VMG-M fuze was one of my favorites to inert. Cheers, Bruce.

@ Spotter and Weasel and BLU-97; you're welcome :)

@ EOD; thanks for the added info.

@Bacarnal; I got mine fully inert, but I was warned to allways double check if the heat sensitive detonator for the SD mechanism is removed before cutting, as this seems to be extremely powerfull, in fact strong enough to make the entrire safety block dissapear.

@ Falcon, I do not know if they are common. However, you never see them at -Dutch- collectors meetings. I was as lucky as to get this set together with a VOG-25 rifle grenade on which I am still working at the moment.
Regards, DJH

Last edited:
"@Bacarnal; I got mine fully inert, but I was warned to allways double check if the heat sensitive detonator for the SD mechanism is removed before cutting, as this seems to be extremely powerfull, in fact strong enough to make the entrire safety block dissapear."

pzgr40, When we inerted them (or any item), we ensured that the time delay powder train and the det were done away with (or emptied) and any residue thoroughly cleaned out, as well as any other energetics being removed. Then having the entire assemblage inspected by the most qualified Staff NCO or Officer (later becoming my job) to ensure the safety of the item. Cheers, Bruce.

I remember when they first came out. Gosh that was almost 20 years ago. They were complaining because it seemed that they had a bad habit of going off inside the barrel for a catistrophic failure and kiling everybody around the gun. Something about their grenades fuzing system. This went on for a number of years until they got it right and went back to Afghanistan. I even read an article that they were so bad that the mujahadeen(SP?) almost always left them on the battlefield.

Just FYI