What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vulcan 20 X 102 lighter.

SG500

Premium Member
I've got a bit of a soft spot for very well made lighters (made out of rounds).

Attached are a few photos of one I got recently, so well made its not that obvious how to get into it and it took me half an hour to work out how to put the fuel into it!!

Stamping on the band is *HA 5-50 61 20mm 55A2*

Dave.

Attachments

• 19 April 09 001.JPG
    19 April 09 001.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 19 April 09 002.JPG
    19 April 09 002.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 33
That is a nice one, it must have taken two projectiles to make it

How was it inerted if it still had its crimp?

Thanks Falcon.

I assume it is a manufacturers produced item rather than a "trench art" item. A friend of mine has a few similar rounds one of which is made by Mauser for the 27 X 145.

Presumably if the manufactuers made them they'd have all the crimping machinery etc available to make a limited run of salesmans gifts perhaps?

Dave.

Nice & different item SG500
Always makes me cringe when I here/see the `trench art` statement as as my grandfather used to say (ex Sussex Yeomanry & RHA, Somme etc) `Trench art - a*!e when did we have the time to f*%k about making this stuff?`

trench art

In all the accounts of trench life I've read I've never come across them having time off to make souveniers. I remember talking to the old chap next door many years ago andhe had been a guard of German prisoners and people used to give them cases to decorate in return for food etc. Some stuff was made post war by locals who picked up bits and pieces to sell to tourists who came at the end of the war. Also sometimes things were made by the factory workers making the product typical of this were lighters.
2pr