What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

W W 1 Detonator tin size

Christoff

I'm currently working on a project to build a Grenade box. I bought the plans and labels from the Tommys Pack Fillers site . One or two of the measurements are little awry but I've now sorted that. My attention is now on the other bits and pieces that need to be included, hence my query about the size of the base plug key I posted yesterday, as at this moment in time I'm intending to fashion my own (he says with blind ignorance)

Could anyone help me in regards to the size of the detonator tins that were used during the Great War. The plans show the tin to be 3 and half inch in diamater but gives no clue as to the depth. I'd be very grateful if someone who owns a tin could supply me with the answer .

Kind Regards

Christoff

Millsbomber has a selection of original det. cans . He may be able to help.

Good luck with the tin plate fabrication...

Tom.

Attachments

• Cylinder No124 (Mark I) L.jpg
    Cylinder No124 (Mark I) L.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 62
Dave, Tom
Many thanks for for your feedback its greatly appreciated . I'll let you know how I get on...gulp

Kind Regards

Chris

From memory the treacle sponge tin is about the same dimensions!

All you would need to do then make then is the lid.... and eat some treacle sponge....
Hangarman

Thanks Hangerman, I've managed to find an old malt whiskey tin with is just about the right diameter. It just needs to be cut down to the right height . I've also managed to find a lid which as come off a boiled sweet tin. once painted up they should look the part.

Regards

Christoff