What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War Nose Mk V

Dronic69

Premium Member
In 1910 the first air heated torpedoes were introduced by Whitehead and the A/115/450 x 5.237 followed in 1913-1914 based on the air heated design.

At the same time, other manufactures introduced similar types:

1) Schwartzkopf A115/450 x 5,200 (German) ~1913
2) Schneider A115/450 x 5,231 (French) ~1913

where
"A" indicated steel torpedoes (as oppose to "B" - phosphorus bronze)
"115" was the explosive charge in Kg
"450" referred to the torpedo diameter in mm
"5,xxx" referred to the torpedo length in metres

Apart from the Whitehead A115/450 model - which used a Mk VI inertia side pistol (not nose type) , the Schwartzkopf and Schneider types used a War Nose Mk V:

Drawing-MkIV MkV.JPG

The above diagram is the only reference to-date that I have highlighting the Mk V...............

The real McCoy is much more impressive:

BOCN-1.jpg

BOCN-2.jpg

BOCN-6.jpg

BOCN-5.jpg

BOCN-4.jpg

The Mk V is a simple "contact" design and assisted by the 3 x extended levers (whiskers) to denotate the torpedo up to a bump angle of approx. 35 degrees.

The photo above highlights how the whiskers insert into the body and through the striker to enable the mechanical cam action to push the striker down upon contact.

Once launched, the impeller rotates a set number of revolutions to "arm" the torpedo at a safe distance away from the firing point:

BOCN-7.jpg

Upon impact, the striker is pushed downwards to detonate the torpedo:

BOCN-8.jpg

The War Nose Mk v is in remarkable condition, where probably 75% of the original protective varnish is present.

Further, this was actually a restoration project as unfortunately the original whiskers & safety pin were missing - that will be a topic of another post where I used 3D application /printer to produce ABS plastic prototypes and then sent the files to be waterjet cut from 5mm mild steel sheet.

BOCN-3.jpg

I'm of the opinion that is Schwartzkopf Mk V
Enjoy!

Last edited:
That's an engineering thing of pure beauty! Your knowledge on this subject is second to none amongst the living. Wayyyyyy past impressive my friend.

Jason

That's an engineering thing of pure beauty! Your knowledge on this subject is second to none amongst the living. Wayyyyyy past impressive my friend.

Jason

G'Aye Buddy - Happy New Year!

Haha - maybe I'm the only "nutcase" collecting old antique torpedo pistols - & hoping to stay amongst the living for a while yet!!! :eek:

Yes - there is certainly a high level of Engineering Excellence plus Elegance in the old torpedo pistol designs.

Cheers
Drew

Last edited: