What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warning

TonyE

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
This post appeared on one of the sniper boards in the U.S.

Originally Posted By: Dr Don Heath D.Sc.
Probably doesn't apply to too many members of this forum, but recently Zimbabwe defence co sold a whole heap of old .303 ammo onto the world market...

problem is some of our 'special' ammo is unaccounted for and may well be in that batch.

Cartridges are old 67 dated PMP millitary rounds with a scratched DH or NWB on the primer. They contain...5grns black, D8 det, and as much PE4 (british equivalent of C4) as could be stuffed in the case.

there are also some hundreds of rounds - also PMP 67 filled with MS200 (eqivalent of US bullseye). Primers marked with an X. We know from tests that the rounds filled with pistol powder will blow a rifle and probably take the firers fingers off the suporting hand. The PE4 filled rounds may well kill the man who pulls the trigger.

Of course, the ammo should have been destroyed...but Zimbabwe has seen such a turn over of staff in the last 20 years in all government departments ...institutional memory is missing.

Again, no US importer should have been alowed to have anything to do with ZDI...but it is only the USA and a few ex brit collonies that substantial numbers of .303 rifles still exist.

I obviously cannot vouch for the content, but it is interesting in one respect. Whilst stories abound about booby trapped ammo, ranging from the partizans of the Eastern Front to Vietnam, this is the first time I have seen anybody give precise details of the contents and markings of such rounds.

It may be just fantasyland, but at least worth noting.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks for that heads up tony
i will certainly be checking all my old .303 rounds before firing down the range will also put up a notice in my gunclub cheers

from chris

I think I'll heed to that warning. I own a pristine Mk.4No.1 made in 1944 and is only a two twist inside the barrel. The rounds that you mentioned with the explosive inside it is meant to take out the shooter too.

In vietnam it was called "Operation Pole Beane" and Operation Italian Green. We doctered every type of munition that the North had. Instead of the normal powder loading, say for a 7.62x39mm we would carefully remove it by also removing the bullet. We would then pack the cartridge with C-4 and carefully replace the cartridge all back together. These rounds were meant to severly maim the user if not kill them. The whole idea was twofold. One reason was for psychological mistrust of there weapons and ammo, and the second one would be to maim and kill the shooters. Just FYI.

Interesting info Tony.

V40: A guy on another forum who was in the USAF in Vietnam said they were warned again and again not to use ammunition found stashed in the jungle for their souvenir weapons. Apparently the VC used to do the same thing to cartridges hoping that the Americans would find them and use them in captured rifles. He also said that some people just don't listen, and a friend of his was killed when he used a round that had been rigged with C4 in a captured VC rifle. Supposedly the best way to get ammo for your souvenir was to get it off enemy dead who were shooting at you five minutes earler.

Falcon,

That might be one of the reasons it was dropped so suddenly from the Operations. Nobody I have ever read about or heard about from my friends that were in SOGno why it was stopped so suddenly. And it was working extremely well in Laos, & Cambodia.

I do not think there has ever been a simple reason stated in declassified documents as to why they stopped the Programs.

I mean they even stopped doctoring the Mortars, 85mm ammo, Recoiless Items, Mines, Hand grenades, and the likes of 12.7mm, and 7.62x54R ammo. SOG was great for doing this. I can see them putting a halt to 7.62x39mm ammo for sure because of the reason you have stated. The others should have been still used.

SOG's ammo for thier AK-47's and RPD's came from what I believe to be one or all of these countries: Yugoslavia and/or South Korea. Interesting isn't it?

Last edited:
I meant that the VC also left behind ammunition that they had rigged hopoing that American troops would find it.

Do you mean that maybe it was dropped by the USA in case any of the rigged ammunition made by the USA it found its way to US troops?

I remember in mid-1966 seeing a notice that warned about booby-trapped 7.62x39 ammo with two specific headstamps. At the time I assumed that it was stuff the US booby-trapped, else why be specific on the headstamps.

Regardless, I can confirm that there were notices like this which were issued because I saw one.

Cheers,

Lew