What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waterloo. Hougoumont Farm

Colonel Greg

I have visited the Waterloo battle field several times and on the last occassion after heavy rain I walked the Hougoumont farm area.The farm was a key point in the battle as Napoleon utilised many of his forces trying to take it. It was manned by German Jagers and elements of the 2nd and 3rd British Guards together with the Coldstream guards.At one point the French actually managed to breach the main Gate but were repulsed with much loss of life. The whole area is a must for any person interested in Military history and Militaria. The museum is excellent. As the weather had been very wet for some days prior to my visit there had been a lot of soil run off from the fields. This I diligently investigated and my wife and I found four black Brandon Brown bess flints and I found, at a distance of 100 yards or so from the farm, five musket balls in and around the area held by French Troops.

Attachments

• waterloo 001.jpg
    waterloo 001.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 29
  • southgate_hougoumont.jpg
    southgate_hougoumont.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 800px-Zuidpoort_hougoumont.jpg
    800px-Zuidpoort_hougoumont.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Coldstream_guards_hougoumont.jpg
    Coldstream_guards_hougoumont.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 22
I've been there twice myself. Once as a re-enactor. I even got to meet David Chandler, he was sitting underneath Wellingtons Tree. He complimented me on my uniform, I was so awestruck that I couldn't answer him. There was something like 3000 re-enactors,including a regiment of female Russian Cavalry!! During the final British Advance I found a French tunic button laying in the ground. I thought WOW!!, when I picked it up I thought it looks so NEW!!! Then I remembered where I was :(