What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wax Anti tank training round

hangarman

Chatting with a friend at the weekend he told me the Czech Army uses a solid wax "marker" round in exercises so that tanks can be shot at and marked when hit, without doing any damage to them. Does any one have any more info on these rounds?
Cheers
Gary

The wax round is an urban (in this case old mercenary) legend.
I asked an old EOD/AMMO Tech who actualy served in a tank unit for some info.
For training was used a training cartridge heavily sealed in petroleum Jelly (not wax)
Which in time hardened on the surface. It had also a petrolate seal. Inside were softboard discs and softboard grains.
The petroleum was not popular with the units as it was pain to clean the barrels afterwards.
I can imagine the tank crews aiming at each other during the large exercises, but doubdt it was allowed at short distances.

The one on the right is the training cartridge.
On the left is a "water round" for gun recoil tests.

Bob

Attachments

• Obrázek (6)_p06.jpg
    Obrázek (6)_p06.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 78
Thanks for the info Bob, interestingly when it was first described to me it was described as a "grease" round, not "Wax". Thanks for clearing up the description. Was the water round filled just before use?
Cheers
Gary

@Hangarman: Yes, the plug was rammed into a barrel, elevation applied, prescribed amount of water poured into the muzzle, cartridge loaded and ...Boom.
Grease round would be a correct description, there was one for every large caliber weapon in the czech inventory up to 152mm even the recoiless 82mm BZK.

@Hans: normaly propelant does not detonate. But ask at Cyprus :)

Bob

The wax round is an urban (in this case old mercenary) legend.

Bob

At what size?

In the 1980's I knew a British Police firearms officers who told me they trained with wax rounds (like wadcutters) with the .38 pistols they used in those days. These were used in indoor / siege type scenarios.

John

At what size?

In the 1980's I knew a British Police firearms officers who told me they trained with wax rounds (like wadcutters) with the .38 pistols they used in those days. These were used in indoor / siege type scenarios.

John

Hi John,
In searching the net for info I came across wax rounds for pistols. They are used in quick draw displays or just for plinking. A cheap form of practice in the USA. They are powered by the primer only.
Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary

My friend said they were pretty powerful. He beat his instructor in a 1:1 confrontation and in retaliation the instructor shot him in his unprotected leg. Said it hurt like hell! Sounds like more than a primer.

John

Back in the 1980s Speer put out a small arms practice round that was a plastic case and plastic projectile, it was available in several different calibers. They used only a large pistol primer. He was showing them to me one day in the basement of his home, where he had a small indoor pellet gun range set up. He took a towel and hung it from the ceiling and shot into it. The projectile punched through the towel and the 5/8" drywall (gypsum board) behind it, leaving a clean hole in each. Made a believer of me, more power in primers than you might think.

Thanks Gary

That's a very interesting film. Also a lot quieter than any live round!

John