What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We all know us Brits work better on a cup of TEA !!! anyone info on this???

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Well, this was a car boot pick up recently and to be honest I'm not too sure about it. Obviously a ration of Tea, but is it original?? unopened and contents rattle inside, but cant find anything to compare to. The tea ration issued to British troops that I have come across was issued in a square tin. This is a 3oz tin as can be seen on the side.

I thought as members of this forum collect other things too, someone may be able to shed some light onto it, right or wrong??

Photo shows a drill .303 for size comparison.

HPIM7190.jpgHPIM7192.jpg

I think I'll get the kettle on !!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

regards Kev

Hi Kev ,these dark green ration tins were develped at the end of the war for the Far East along with the 44 pattern webbing,late war pattern jungle shirt and trousers and the clip together knife ,fork and spoon sets[also a water filtration bag which seem to be quite common ] ,most are dated 1945. The earlier ration tins are a pale green for the square /rectangular types [Chocolate & Boiled Sweets ,Boiled Sweets & Matches , Boiled Sweets ,Cigarettes [also came in a grey drum ] and a gold laquer colour for the round tins [Lamb Stew , Steak &Veg , Beef &Kidney ,Oxtail,Salmon and a few others ].Ive also seen Sugar in the dark green tins ,dated 45 ,hope this helps ,regards Dave

Hi Dave,

thankyou for the detailed reply. Thats great news about the later pattern, I wasnt sure if the piece was even original as I hadnt seen anything quite like it before (or more to the point hadnt really studied them before).
Still not been able to find any pictures of this item anywhere else though, plenty of pictures of the square/rectangular tins.

kind regards Kev

Ive only ever seen the Tea and Sugar ration in the dark green, and only 2 or 3 examples in the last 20 odd years ,i dont know if they were a general issue.I used to collect British / Commonwealth ration tins but the market went a bit silly with 30 plus prices for empty tins a few years back,regards Dave

Cheers for that Dave, looks like money well spent then!! - it also explains why I havent seen any to compare to - 2-3 examples in 20 years isnt many!!

thanks again Kev