What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well I'll be danged,,,,

Lou

Ok,this might not interest many of you,but,it pays to do two things while hunting the guns show,militaria shows,etc etc....

Dig in the boxes and piles that most sellers seem to have stashed under tables,""with permission of course"" and examine closely when you get stuff home.
I found this at the Iola military vehicle show this weekend in Wisconsin,under a pile of junk. A fired German squeeze bore projectile of unknown caliber.
I had originally bought a PC microscope for my father,to help him inspect coins,for his age has brought on poor eyesight. Low and behold,it works great for taking close up photos of very small stamped nomenclature.

With this computer microscope I was able to locate two distorted WaAs on the sleeve of this fired projectile.With a little more practice with lighting,it will get better.

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 89
  • German Squeezebore 003.jpg
    German Squeezebore 003.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 152
  • German Squeezebore 004.jpg
    German Squeezebore 004.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 112
  • German Squeezebore 006.jpg
    German Squeezebore 006.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 109
  • German Squeezebore 007.jpg
    German Squeezebore 007.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 73
Hey Lou,

Nice find!!!!!

These types of "finds" have to be the most rewarding!!! (and normally less $$$ too)
Cheers
Drew

Hi Lou,

The trick with the lighting is to get it at an angle across the subject. That way it will throw shadows into the stamping and they will stand out from the background of your subject. When lit from beside the camera the same amount of light would fall into the stamps as on the surrounding metal and they will blend in.

If the object is cylindrical, as are most of the interesting things, aim the light along the cylinder so that there is an evenness to the lighting on the surface. Lit from the side the curavature can cause a stripe of relfection along the cylinder which could fool a camera's auto exposure settings and spoil a good picture.

Having said that, please use these ideas as a starting point and play around and find what works for a particular item as photography is not an exact science either.

I hate to play devil's advocate here, but it looks to me like a tooth for a mining or excavation machine. It has a tungsten carbide core that is protruding out of the middle. If it were a squeeze-bore projectile, it would have been reduced in diameter from being fired, and the flange would be much thinner so that it would squeeze down. Arrowhead projectile missing the base maybe, but the angle on the nose is wrong, and there is too much support material around the tip. I have attached a photo of Pzgr40's sectioned 76mm arrowhead projo. It is designed for straight penetration, carbide out front with minimal side support. The rock breaking carbide holders have a lot of side support around the carbide, so it can be used for scraping.

Similar items:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/another-tungsten-carbide-t63915.html?t=63915&highlight=tungsten

Attachments

• 76mm arrowhead projo section.jpg
    76mm arrowhead projo section.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Now that,is interesting. I never thought about a carbide or tungsten rock breaking tooth. Id surely have egg on my face if that turns out to be the case,lol. And dont worry about calling me on it John,I consider you a friend and Id rather ID something and have it confirmed than run around showing off my rock breaking tooth.
And now the WaA6? German road equipment maybe???
Can anyone come up with a sectioned photo of something in the 3.7cm range? Which is the approx measurement of this item at its widest piont?

Yep John is correct.
I also used them some years ago for teaching the guys from work.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,least I know now. Off to the recycle bin it goes.:tinysmile_cry_t4: