What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a loss!!!!

i wonder if anybody looked through them,i bet their was some nice collectable guns

They tend not to.

I remember a bit of film on the BBC after a Police gun amnesty and there handguns like Artillery Lugers, Webley .455s, Desert Eagles all being crushed before being melted down.

Criminal really when they could be sold overseas.

i wonder if anybody looked through them,i bet their was some nice collectable guns

For the 1988 amnesty Herb Woodend of the MoD Pattern Room looked through the surrendered weapons and selected important specimens for preservation in the Pattern Room Collection (which is now part of the National Firearms Centre[NFC] collection within the Royal Armouries, Leeds). The IWM and National Army Museum also benefited. I am not sure if Herb went through them all, I doubt it since there were 42,725 firearms handed in in England and Wales, and 5,177 in Scotland.

The present Custodian of the NFC is the UK's leading expert on firearms amnesties, surrenders and buy-in schemes and he told me that between 1933 and 2003 a total of 386,787 were handed in - that probably includes a large number of those Artillery Pattern Lugers!

For the 1988 amnesty Herb Woodend of the MoD Pattern Room looked through the surrendered weapons and selected important specimens for preservation in the Pattern Room Collection (which is now part of the National Firearms Centre[NFC] collection within the Royal Armouries, Leeds).

I wonder if my Wildey Survivor in 475 Widely Magnum and Colt Python Ultimate Stainless ended up in the collection?