What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What ammunition did this gun use?

ozziammo

Greetings all,
We have a park gun displayed near my town. I have never heard of a Broadwell artillery gun????
Does anyone have any detail of the type of ammunition this item used please?

Attachments

• thumbnail_broadwell guns11.jpg
    thumbnail_broadwell guns11.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 62
Search for terms such as 'Broadwell Ring', or 'Broadwell Breech Loader' and actual weapons will show up, which often makes things easier to understand.

I had to correct the former's Wikipedia entry as it said the L30 and M777 guns used "sliding wedge breechblocks with obturating rings", which is false on both counts. The former is a vertical split-block with an obturating pad, whilst the latter is swing-up interrupted screwthread design with an obturating pad. I have found that technical weapon stuff on Wikipedia is often incorrect, or written (it seems) by people with a poor level of technical knowledge.

As to what ammo the guns would use? From the look of it they (there are four-, five- and six-pounder guns) would all use separate loading ammunition. So a projectile, a bagged charge (black powder), and by the look of it a tube-type firing system. The tube being a small but long tubular primer, which would have a friction igniter system at the top, whilst the rest of the body would be filled with a fine black powder igniter charge.

Yanking a cord attached to the friction igniter system sets that off, which ignites its igniter charge. The igniter charge's output vents into the chamber holding the main charge, igniting that. The pressure builds up to a point at which the projectile starts to move (the shot start pressure). The projectile's movement due to its diving band (s), base cup, or both being deformed due to the force apply to the its base (pressure x area = force), then the overcoming of the static and dynamic projectile-to-bore (lands and grooves) friction.

Last edited:
Search for terms such as 'Broadwell Ring', or 'Broadwell Breech Loader' and actual weapons will show up, which often makes things easier to understand.

I had to correct the former's Wikipedia entry as it said the L30 and M777 guns used "sliding wedge breechblocks with obturating rings", which is false on both counts. The former is a vertical split-block with an obturating pad, whilst the latter is swing-up interrupted screwthread design with an obturating pad. I have found that technical weapon stuff on Wikipedia is often incorrect, or written (it seems) by people with a poor level of technical knowledge.

As to what ammo the guns would use? From the look of it they (there are four-, five- and six-pounder guns) would all use separate loading ammunition. So a projectile, a bagged charge (black powder), and by the look of it a tube-type firing system. The tube being a small but long tubular primer, which would have a friction igniter system at the top, whilst the rest of the body would be filled with a fine black powder igniter charge.

Yanking a cord attached to the friction igniter system sets that off, which ignites its igniter charge. The igniter charge's output vents into the chamber holding the main charge, igniting that. The pressure builds up to a point at which the projectile starts to move (the shot start pressure). The projectile's movement due to its diving band (s), base cup, or both being deformed due to the force apply to the its base (pressure x area = force), then the overcoming of the static and dynamic projectile-to-bore (lands and grooves) friction.
Thank you Eggbert1969, I will do an internet search & see what happens. The particular gun I mentioned in a nearby park has been converted to smooth bore & has Turkish markings, But I am really only concentrating on what configuration the original gun was & what type of ammunition it used, hoping that someone may have a specimen to show! Regards Ozzi.

Until some years after their invention these guns fired lead coated shells with bag charges. Later also with copper driving bands. Thousands of Krupp guns made in the 1860's and 1870's used exactly this design.

Last edited: