What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are these???

christhurston

Premium Member
I've found another couple of cases in amongst the odds and ends,no idea whatsoever with these,although I do think they are gun related. (maybe!!)
They're brass,rimmed,94mm long,30mm rim diameter with a 28mm straight taper casing.The headstamp on one is,M.T Co with IV at the bottom,and the other has just IV M at the bottom.The primers are,I think,electrically
fired,never seen these before,but they're black rings about 12mm across and 2mm thick with a metal centre.The rings are black plastic type insulating material I guess.
Any thoughts? Chris.

I'll suss the camera bit in the end,in the meantime,a fairly graphic description of the offending items,methinks!!!

Electric Primers Naval

Hi Chris do they look like these at all ?

Your description is pretty good but a picture will "tell all".

Attachments

• E Prime N Long.JPG
    E Prime N Long.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 11
  • E Prim N Short.JPG
    E Prim N Short.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 10
  • E Prim Base.JPG
    E Prim Base.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 16
Isuspect this

1 inch aiming round

Attachments

• Snapshot 2009-04-04 10-25-26.jpg
    Snapshot 2009-04-04 10-25-26.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 29
A graphic description that omitted all those 'oles would leave much to be desired,methinks,Chris!!! Gordon has depicted the very thing,I think,are these for sub calibre practice shots in a larger weapon? The "aiming" part makes me think of the spotting rifle that was used with the BAT, I'm guessing that they weren't used for anything like that?
Chris.

These were used for sub calibre training in larger calibre guns on board ships. They were fired at floating targets made from wood. You are right that they have electric primers.

The M.T Co. headstamp is Morris Aiming tube Company, which was based in Dagenham, East London.