What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What gun goes with this Russian 76.2 mm case?

H

Hoeksel

I recently acquired some new shell cases including a small model 76.2 mm Russian case. I have seen this case many times before, so I know it is not that rare, but still I have no positive ID from my references. The case measures 76.2x166R87.

In a Russian written artillery ammunition manual I have found several examples of cases that seem to be the same (no dimensions mentioned), being:

- 75 mm M1909
- 75 mm M1943

Based on the date on my case (1939) it could be the 75 mm M1909.

In "Big Bore Ammunition" I find a 3inch mountain howitzer, 12 pounder Hotchkiss for this shell case.

Can anybody verify?

Hi Dave,

No, that is clearly a 385 mm case while mine is shorter.

Kornel

According to Finnish WW2 dated ordnance manual case length for Russian 76,2mm mountain guns M/04 and M/09 and shortened cannon M/13 is 191,6mm, base diameter 87,1 mm.

Any case shorter than this does not exist in this catalogue. Can you see if it has been shortened? Sometimes cases for separate loading have been shortened to repair a mouth crack.

I am positive it is not shortened. In addition, I have seen several other examples of the same length.