What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this -- large projectile

Gspragge

Premium Member
Length 19 1/4" Diameter 4 7/8" , only markings as shown. Certainly looks
ww2 in shape. White paint perhaps a later covering (Drill?) but missing from half of it. This is over original black paint. Some rusting but not horrible from the usual sitting and laying on damp. Fuze well 2" Dia. as far as I can tell, a No 80 will fit so I guess the standard ww2 fuzes will also.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
60 Pounder?
I think your mundlochbuchse is missing, that may explain the 1cm difference in length.
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• granaten_66_0001.jpg
    granaten_66_0001.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 75
Yes that is a Canadian C Broad arrow. My measurement could easily be out 1 cm on length and a No 80 fuze fits so nothing is missing, sometimes one manufacturer makes a projectile with the brass insert, but another doesn't, I notice this with ww1 4.5" projectiles.
So it is likely a ww2 60 pr -- What fuze the standard PD like a 25 Pdr. I am presuming ww2 as the markings don't look ww1 - I could be wrong, but the last ww1 60 pr I saw was not quite so streamlined if I recall.

What is the source of the drawing, it seems to show a 100 - 101 - 102 type fuze, was this still in use
1941 - 42 ? I presume some 60 Prs and ammunition might have been left in France in 1940 so this is the source of the German drawing ?

Last edited:
Hello,

This kind of "streamlined" 60pr shells (diagram of DJH) were used at the end of ww1, different marks (head with or without fuze socket).
60pr Mk IXc is mentionned in a handbook of 1921 (maybe used before).
We found sometimes on ww1 battlefields 60pr with this shape.
The driving band of this 60pr is different from the shell shown.
The driving band of the "white" shell matches with a band of Navy 4.7in.

Regards

Band of 60pr streamlined like MkIXC

60pr late w1.jpg

Band of 4.7in (Navy)

4.7.JPG

Last edited:
Cleaned 60 pr

Maybe it is older than I thought then --

I cleaned it some more, no other markings present. It looks smooth, but the machining marks are fine and are visible - I waxed it (reversible) The white paint was not
ancient and cleaned off. I left it with the aged patina rather than acid wash it
to bare grey metal. A company in Orillia Ontario Canada made 60 Pr projectiles
I have seen one other in an older MK. Perhaps they made this and were set up
to make the wider band and stayed with that design ? if they made this one.
If there were large stocks on hand of these at the end of WW1 , then likely no more
were made and with the low number of guns on hand over here there was perhaps
no need to make more.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 3.jpg
    IMG_0001 3.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
My thoughts are its a Naval 4.7in HE, I've only a diagram of the heavey HE which is shorter but if theres a heavey one then there must be a lighter thinner casing longer one. I'd investigate along those lines.