What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this?

It looks like a 4 inch naval shell to me.

Darren

Attachments

• 4inch navel Round (2).jpg
    4inch navel Round (2).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 54
I think its a 3.7" HE proj.
This is a 4.5" echo(same profile as The HE).note overall dimensions,4.5" is more slender/longer in appearance and the driving band on your proj. is classic 3.7" pattern. 4.5" band is very different profile.
cheers Bob
4.5ECHO.jpg

Pete any chance of a definitive measurement of the calibre please ??

Kahu1 you do have a point about it being a 3.7", it will be interesting to see which calibre it actually is.
I only ever had one fired and extreemly mankie 3.7" HE projo and there was not enough of the band left to see what it was like so I only speak from memory of my old 4" inch projo..

I've spoken with the owner & he now informs me it has 3.7" FS stamped on the side!

So I take that to be a 3.7" projectile filled with smoke!

Good ID there Kahu1 ;-)

I seem to remember "FS" meaning "Forged Steel" and relating to the shell manufacturing process.

Falcon ,

You are correct with the FS meaning,other options would be CS for 'cast steel' or BS for 'bored from bar'.
Info from 'HANDBOOK FOR ORDNANCE,QF 3.7NCH MKS1 ,2 AND 3, LAND SERVICE,1939.

cheers ,
Bob