What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this

vinnyw

DSC00100.jpgDSC00101.jpgDSC00102.jpgDSC00103.jpgHello need some help here, thank you in advance.
I no this is U.S. WW2 I can see the nomenclature but can't read it. I can read tat it is a amber something. I also do not understand how it was launched.:tinysmile_classes_t

Vinny,

It's a round for the M4 pyrotechnic launcher. They came in various colors like the later rifle launched ones. The launcher was like a short mortar barrel and was normally carried as an accessory on armored vehicles like the M8 and M20 armored cars.

The round was muzzle loaded in the barrel with the fins pointing upward and was held away from the firing pin by spring fingers in the bore. When the launcher was smacked against the ground the shell would overcome the spring tension and slide down against the firing pin. After launch, the round would invert in flight and stabilize before ejecting the fins and lighting the internal candle.

All in all, a pretty goofy design. The cartridges still show up occasionally but the launchers are REALLY scarce. I've only seen two or three originals in 45+ years.

Called something like 'Ground,signal,Projector series M17 to M22',the fin colour and stamping indicate content, in this case 'A.S.' is Amber Cluster,pyrotechnic.
I've posted some info on these previously,so have a go with a search on BOCN.

Bob

Last edited: