What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's this "slug"???

Dronic69

Premium Member
Hi All,

Another unsolved mystery lurking in my trash boxes....

At a guess, late 1800's around the time of the 1" Nordenfelts?

Length: 2.586" (65.88mm)
Diameter: Body 0.996" (25.31mm)
Diameter Flange base: 1.092" (27.75mm)

Looks like there's stamp on the base?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN3774.jpg
    DSCN3774.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN3770.jpg
    DSCN3770.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN3773.jpg
    DSCN3773.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 64
Hi Jawasinger,

Yes the body diameter definitely "fits" the 1" Nordenfelt category; my concern it the "protruding" flared base, which is larger than 1"???

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

1 inch

These projectiles had a conical indent in the base ans some marks were stamped with an S. I think some person (to be polite0 has hammered the base flat and so made it look flanged. 2pr

These projectiles had a conical indent in the base ans some marks were stamped with an S. I think some person (to be polite0 has hammered the base flat and so made it look flanged. 2pr

Hi 2pdr,

Yes I'm now also of the same conclusion.....
Further "research" into this highlights that this projectile was used in the 1' Nordenfelt deck guns (4-barrels etc) as an anti-torpedo boat defense. The steel bullet (core) had a brass envelope used as a gas check mechanism, The drawing provides projectile dimensions and if accurate, indicates the the length should be 2.9". Mine is 2.596", so it has received one big hit! The formation of the "brass body ring" (like a driving band) is perhaps the result of the brass being compressed by the blow.
I'm curious how this may have occurred as the rest of the projectile including the exposed steel tip appears to be intact? Manufacturing malfunction when sleeving the steel core with the brass envelop?

http://www.victorianshipmodels.com/antitorpedoboatguns/Nordenfelt/nordenfeltammuni.html

The difference between 2.9" and ~2.6" is quite big - here's another manufacturing malfunction theory - the steel core was actually too short in length and the sleeving tool was set to the correct steel core length....perhaps would explain why /how the tip section was held in place?

As for my initial analysis (prior to posting), the photo shows a lead core 1" projectile and case - key point here is that the length of the lead one is 2.56", hence at that stage no suspicion that the steel one was "too short".

I gather that the 2xcases marked "M" is for Maxim?

The other is stamped "Vm" - "Vickers/Maxim"? If so when did the "Son" get involved i.e. "V.S.M"???

Happy Hunting..
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN3793.jpg
    DSCN3793.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN3794.jpg
    DSCN3794.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN3795.jpg
    DSCN3795.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN3796.JPG
    DSCN3796.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN3797.JPG
    DSCN3797.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 1-inchNordenfeltCartridgeMkVIDiagram1894.jpg
    1-inchNordenfeltCartridgeMkVIDiagram1894.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 26
1inch

Dronic69, Can I suggest you use the search facility as there has been lots posted on the 1inch ammo. Your interepretation of the marks will also be corrected by previous posts your cases have electric primers and are therefore aiming rounds not mg. 2pr

Hi 2pdr,

You can see why I just collect fuzes now!

Thanks for the feedback!
Cheers
Drew