What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with this fuse?

Dronic69

Premium Member
Hi All,

While "digging" through my fuse treasure chest, I came across one of my favourite fuses - it's from a 9cm gun (~1873)

But there's something obviously wrong here - any ideas??:xd:

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN3195.jpg
    DSCN3195.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN3201.jpg
    DSCN3201.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 55
Yes, it is fairly obvious that the 9cm time fuse is "attached" to a HE nose fuse - not sure if it is a 37mm one though? I originally thought is may have been a 9cm impact fuse, but did noticed that the fuse thread is smaller diameter....

I picked this up in a Prague flea market in the late '80s - had no idea which gun it belonged to, until the next day when I visited the Prague Military Museum - there was a poster on the 9cm gun, complete with ordnance references and fuse drawings

The smaller HE fuse was screwed into something like a 3' mortar round body. mounted on a small metal tripod. Didn't looks anything projectile related (more trenchart), so it was unfortunately left behind (it weigh a "ton"!) Probably was something highly rare......

Cheers
Drew

Tough for me to tell without measurments as some of those fuzes were small and fitted into a large adaptor to the shell, but obviously fuze in a fuze......Dano

Do these fuzes unscrew from each other? How the attachment has been done should give some idea of the purpose ( trenchart or real use )

Both fuses have been attached in a "TrenchArt" manner - a small bolt has been inserted from the bottom of the impact fuse up through the gaine and into the time fuse. From memory the only way to "detach" them was to drill the bolt out as the inserted bolt head has been grounded down....I still haven't go around to doing that.....yet!
:xd:

I just don't buy "trench art" as I see no form of art in this piece. Don't get me wrong it is awesome but I just do not see trenchart...Dano

Remember you are just seeing the "tip of the iceberg" as I mentioned prior, these fuses were screwed into a metal object that resembled a 3" mortar body vertically supported by a tripod stand - if you saw the complete object then it is a war souvenir if that is the more technically correct term.

I decided it's time for surgery - had to drill down into the time fuse to release all - the pics should clarify everything and the interesting construction with the offending foreign body!

The bottom of the time fuse has the letters "CP" (Could be "Cr"), the gaine as "VL" stamped on it and the impact adaptor has "F"
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN3204.jpg
    DSCN3204.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN3206.jpg
    DSCN3206.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN3213.jpg
    DSCN3213.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN3209.jpg
    DSCN3209.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN3212.jpg
    DSCN3212.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 29
I just don't buy "trench art" as I see no form of art in this piece.

Dano,

Perhaps this is more "suited" to your trench art taste......
:xd:

CHeers
Drew

...and ya zats un WW1 Deutsch 150mm

Attachments

• 150mmCase.jpg
    150mmCase.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 150mmCase1.jpg
    150mmCase1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 9
  • 150mmCase2.jpg
    150mmCase2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 150mmCase3.jpg
    150mmCase3.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 10
I just don't buy "trench art" as I see no form of art in this piece. Don't get me wrong it is awesome but I just do not see trenchart...Dano

Study some trenchart and you'll see that all sort of desktop ornaments were produced after the war.