What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which fuze for 18pdr?

Motiztab

Morning,
I have a British Army 18pdr shell case (1915) a relic 18pdr shrapnel shell with no markings so cannot date it however it did come from the Somme area and two time fuze both relics.
With the following markings:
No85 I
ALCO
N in a square
LOT133
2??6
and on the bottom ring
B?B
Remains of Red/Orange paint?

the second has the following
^B.S.C
S in a square
No85
LOT1177
and on the bottom ring
C with a broad arrow inside
circle with 38 inside

Is there any way of telling the date of them i take it that the one with1916 is the date for that but the other has to me no date markings?
Are they both type 85 fuze but from differant factorys? or does the I after the No85 on one indecate a different type?

I am really after as much info as possible and which would be the one to match the shell and case?

Opps sorry should have posted this in Fuzes not here, can some one move it??

Last edited:
Morning,
I have a British Army 18pdr shell case (1915) a relic 18pdr shrapnel shell with no markings so cannot date it however it did come from the Somme area and two time fuze both relics.
With the following markings:
No85 I
ALCO
N in a square
LOT133
2??6
and on the bottom ring
B?B
Remains of Red/Orange paint?

the second has the following
^B.S.C
S in a square
No85
LOT1177
and on the bottom ring
C with a broad arrow inside
circle with 38 inside

Is there any way of telling the date of them i take it that the one with1916 is the date for that but the other has to me no date markings?
Are they both type 85 fuze but from differant factorys? or does the I after the No85 on one indecate a different type?

I am really after as much info as possible and which would be the one to match the shell and case?

Opps sorry should have posted this in Fuzes not here, can some one move it??

I think you need a No 80 fuze for a shrap shell. others here will know more.

I think you need a No 80 fuze for a shrap shell. others here will know more.

hi mate
yes or a 101 fuse for HE like below

have a look at the brilliant 'passion-compassion website with many images of fuzes that were used on the 18
pounder shell

Attachments

• dougs%20bombs0001.jpg
    dougs%20bombs0001.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies guys.
18pounder, thanks for the image I have one of those fuze's but its not whole as its got a great chunk torn off it from impact, another relic from France.
I had it down as timed fuze for air burst shapnel shell and the other as in your image for HE

No 80 fuze

Hello,
Here's a No 80 Mk VII, nice piece of engineering for something to blow up!
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• No 80 Mk VII.jpg
    No 80 Mk VII.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 22
  • No 80 Mk VII.jpg 4a.jpg
    No 80 Mk VII.jpg 4a.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 31