What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which fuzes were used in these please?

AndyD

I need to know which fuzes were used in the following please.

105mm HE
105mm ILLUM
105mm BASE EJECT SMOKE.

All rounds are modern (80's I think) British.
I suspect the smoke used a 390 but that's only a guess!

Cheers,
Andy

Fuzes !

You are spot on with the 105mm SMK BE using a 390 Fuze or an equivalent such as the L34A2.
The illuminating shell is not so straight forward as there were a few designs using imported Illum shells from Bofors which used a very coarse threaded fuze (app 5 or 6 mm Pitch thread) so it is dependant on whether it is an import or home produced item as to what thread it will have.
The HE shell will use a standard issue fuze being a PD/SQ or multi function fuze depending on the era in which it was issued.

Hmmm!

A 390 won't fit the smoke proj.
The Illum is a Bofors made example.

Looks like I'll have to try to find more fuzes!

Cheers,
Andy

Here are some pics of the projectiles,hopefully someone may know the fuze type used in these.

Cheers,
Andy

Attachments

• 105MM ILLUM.JPG
    105MM ILLUM.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 105MM SMOKE.JPG
    105MM SMOKE.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 105MM HE.JPG
    105MM HE.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 31
Thread types!

Hmmm!

A 390 won't fit the smoke proj.
The Illum is a Bofors made example.

Looks like I'll have to try to find more fuzes!

Cheers,
Andy
Ok Andy, then I suspect your 390 may be the old english thread of 2" 14 tpi Whitwirth form and therefore you will need the L34 series fuze I mentioned which will have the correct thread of 2" 12 tpi Unified thread form.
As for the Bofors produced Illum shell then all I can say with that one is "good luck" as I never found the really coarse threaded fuze to fit mine-they must be "out there" somewhere but sure are rare.
Good hunting Andy!