What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who was ESH&S???

christhurston

Premium Member
Hello All,there does seem to be a lot of interest in grenades,and it's perhaps time that I tried to find out a little bit about my one and only No 36.I'm afraid that taking pics is still a work in progress for me,and hopefully the markings I describe will reveal something.

The grenade body has W.E cast into it below the brass filler plug,and has 94 at the bottom of the lever recess.The lever itself has a very small stamp on it,H&S with a small + sign above and below it.The baseplug is stamped No 36 MI; 11 18; ESH&S.

Does it seem at all likely that these marked parts have always been together,or is that far too much to hope for?

Regards Chris.

Hello All,there does seem to be a lot of interest in grenades,and it's perhaps time that I tried to find out a little bit about my one and only No 36.I'm afraid that taking pics is still a work in progress for me,and hopefully the markings I describe will reveal something.

The grenade body has W.E cast into it below the brass filler plug,and has 94 at the bottom of the lever recess.The lever itself has a very small stamp on it,H&S with a small + sign above and below it.The baseplug is stamped No 36 MI; 11 18; ESH&S.

Does it seem at all likely that these marked parts have always been together,or is that far too much to hope for?

Regards Chris.

ESH&S = E.S. Hindley & Sons, Bourton, Dorset.

All the best,
PB

Hi Chris,

the body was made by either Western Electric or Wedmore Engineering and i would tend to go for the latter. Maybe an expert could confirm this?

H&S couple one of several makers, Hope & Sons, Hindley & Sons[as before], Hawkins & Sons Etc, dont think we will know.

As for all the parts being original to the gren, well, if it talk it would tell us. It could be that they were but we can never be 100% certain.

Piccy would be nice, its quite simple once you get the hang of it, good luck.

Andy

Many thanks chaps,I take it that all of the marked parts were all being made at the same time as the baseplug,and none are obvious later additions.I've collected German edged weapons for years,and I have similar thoughts about scabbards and frogs etc,as long as everything is correct period and they do belong together,they don't need to have come out of the same factory on the same day.

Thanks John but i bow down before most as ive not been doing this long, just hungry for information as we all are.

Andy